Fantastic deal on turkey fryer!! (for boiling wort)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Only 1 left in stock--order soon."

Probably trying to get one last buy to make up for all the deals and refunds lol!
Fun while it lasted and I did get my second/last refund since I emailed yesterday before the jump!

"Since your purchase shipped within the past 30 days, I've requested a refund of $1.54 to your credit card. "

:rockin:

Got it in one hour ago......already assembled No dents thank goodness

tomorrow gonna test for leaks and boil some water to put the oxide layer on.....thx again for posting this sweet deal :mug:

Got mine in yesterday. Thank you for posting this deal. Its already dropped back down from 77 to 69, so it may go back down. If Amazon is smart then they are adjusting price based on inventory / sales. No doubt our surge in purchases affected the price jump, lol.

Holy crap, glad I got in on this deal while I did! I even emailed and got 1.60$ refund when the price went from 32 to 30 :p

I got it a few days ago, looks good. I haven't had a chance to put it together yet, but I am excited. I think I will end up wanting to get a stainless steel pot though. At first I figured I didn't care about aluminum, but this pot seems to have a rough finish on it, I'd feel better about it if it were smooth I think.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll be using the aluminum for a while :p

Thought about it too long...missed the good deal...Went to Wal Mart, Paid $60 and got one that said it came with a side shelf, but none in the box. Also the pot is so chincy, I'm worried that it won't actually hold 7 gallons without blowing a side out. Seriously...I could crush this pot to a pancake with my hands.

Guess I have a POS Burner for $60 when I build my sculpture..:eek:

I bet it goes back down. It already has gone down a few bucks. I would keep an eye on this. It makes sense. They pay $25 (for example) they sell it for $72 and slowly drop the price to get more people to buy. Then when they are still selling it for money they jack the price. They build up a good rep with cheap cost and then get people to buy at $70 because they know the product is good, but just missed the great deal.

Edit: Oops, missed Farmers post. /idiot

Shaggy, congrats and keep us informed. As the OP I still haven't tried mine out yet (dang Double Chocolate Stout in my primary is being finicky about hitting F.G. and preventing me from starting my Oatmeal Stout with this burner).

Put it together and gave it a whirl last night. Was pretty satisfied overall...especially considering it was dark out, in the 50s and windy lol.
Gotta get some flashing and I'll be all set!

:mug:

I might not be able to do my Oatmeal Stout this weekend myself that arrived yesterday form AHS.
Since I really will only have Sat morning to do anything brew related this weekend, I will have to get my wheat into a keg as I've only 1 6gal carboy primary. This will be my first adventure kegging so I'm sure it will take up some time.
I will have to brew the following weekend though...but the wheat should be ready to be enjoyed by then!

...I think I will end up wanting to get a stainless steel pot though. At first I figured I didn't care about aluminum, but this pot seems to have a rough finish on it, I'd feel better about it if it were smooth...
Why? I would understand if it was something that needed to be sanitized and brewed in, but you're gonna boil in it.

Did my first turkey frier batch yesterday. Worked out great. Took 20 minutes to get to boil. When it starts getting up to boil you really have to watch close for boil overs. But once I got the flame right I kept a nice rolling boil going with out having to adjust the burner. I really liked brewing outdoors. It's a heck of a lot easier then brewing in the kitchen.

Did my first turkey frier batch yesterday. Worked out great. Took 20 minutes to get to boil. When it starts getting up to boil you really have to watch close for boil overs. But once I got the flame right I kept a nice rolling boil going with out having to adjust the burner. I really liked brewing outdoors. It's a heck of a lot easier then brewing in the kitchen.

what size boil?

I got one of these too. I bought mine at Academy Sports. They also had a 42qt aluminum boil pot that I bought as an accessory. I use the bigger pot as my boil kettle and the turkey frier as my hot liquor tank.

what size boil?
I filled bucket with 5 Gallons water,
used about 2.5 gallons for steeping grains. Topped of with remaining water. put on lid brought to a boil. Then I added more water as needed when it started boiling over.
IMG_0407.jpg

hmm .........mine took like 1.25 hours to bring about 6.5 to a full boil. I had it open 2 turns with the lid on...

If you're not familiar with big gas burners, you should know that they sound like a jet engine, and they are loud enough that you'll have to raise your voice to talk over it if you're standing right there.
My first go went very bad (Thank god I tried with Water first) as the regulator had some shipping goo in it, and it didn't burn much hotter than the kitchen stove. I was very unhappy. Whatever it was busted loose, last night I had 3 gallons to a rolling boil in about 15 minutes, and not on full blast either.

Good luck.

You know....it was very loud when I 1st started to boil the water, but after a bit I noticed the brass fitting and hose that connect to the burner were getting quite hot...so I used some foil to cover that side of the burner to keep the heat away from it. After that though, it wasn't near as loud. I wonder if I was blocking some O2 from the mix?

Update:

I just tried it without the foil barrier. I was able to bring 3 gallons of 71 degree F tap water up to a boil in about 15 minutes. Freakin awesome. Thx for the reply Kahuna....I might have never tried it without the foil. This time the fitting and hose didn't get hot without the foil some some odd reason.

You know....it was very loud when I 1st started to boil the water, but after a bit I noticed the brass fitting and hose that connect to the burner were getting quite hot...so I used some foil to cover that side of the burner to keep the heat away from it. After that though, it wasn't near as loud. I wonder if I was blocking some O2 from the mix?

Update:

I just tried it without the foil barrier. I was able to bring 3 gallons of 71 degree F tap water up to a boil in about 15 minutes. Freakin awesome. Thx for the reply Kahuna....I might have never tried it without the foil. This time the fitting and hose didn't get hot without the foil some some odd reason.

Wow I have not even opened mine yet, but 15min boil that quick sounds like its a winner!

If you're not familiar with big gas burners, you should know that they sound like a jet engine, and they are loud enough that you'll have to raise your voice to talk over it if you're standing right there.
My first go went very bad (Thank god I tried with Water first) as the regulator had some shipping goo in it, and it didn't burn much hotter than the kitchen stove. I was very unhappy. Whatever it was busted loose, last night I had 3 gallons to a rolling boil in about 15 minutes, and not on full blast either.

Good luck.

OP here. Unfortunately I did not see this post earlier and had a horrible experience last night brewing my AHS Oatmeal Stout. I was only doing a partial boil (4 gallons) and I NEVER got to a boil. I thought I had a bum regulator because I found if I turned the needle valve almost off (while the flame was lit) and then quickly spun the knob open I could get a much larger flame....for about 1 second and then it would go back to its piddlingly slow rate. My thermometer was showing >200F but I never hit the boil. I kept thinking my tank was near empty but when I sloshed it around I could still here a good bit of liquid propane so I knew it wasn't that.

I was doing a late extract addition (~1/2-3/4lb extract with the hops since the Stout has so many steeping grains), and so needed to kill the heat with about 15min left.

I turned off the heat, added my malt, turned the heat back on and was shocked to see it now putting out about 3-4X the heat. I looked down at the burner and it was huge. I had not changed anything just physically turned off both the needle and the tank valves and then back on, but something had changed. Now with the heat much stronger I had to constantly stir the mixture to prevent burning on the bottom, but I still never took the batch to a complete boil (I had started to hydrate my yeast and was worried it would be less effective if it sat too long before being pitched). I hope this doesn't hurt me in taste later on.

My other fear is that since I was always trying to conserve heat (lid was on unless stirring) that some off-flavors may have been trapped that normally boil off (sulfates or something). Every previous batch I did was done uncovered as recommended but with this one I could barely hit 190F if I didn't have it completely covered. I should have realized something was seriously wrong, but just kept hoping it would magically boil. Now I realize as you did BigKahuna that something was messed up with the regulator.

To top off my horrible ordeal, while everything else went great in terms of setting up the fermenter after adding all the wort to the 2 gallons of water I had pre-boiled and cooled, I had what looks to be 6 gallons (or possibly even a hair more)! Remember I had virtually no water loss from the boil since it was practically covered the entire time and so my well planned thought of having more than 6 gallons pre-boil came back to bite me in the arse. I was so ticked I carried the full carboy downstairs, popped in the airlock and had to leave the house for a bit or risk going Office Space on the burner.

I'll need to go back and actually read the instructions to see if there was something I did wrong when lighting (ie you HAVE to do it a specific way or the regulator acts wierd). I doubt it, and will chalk it up to dumb luck, but I would recommend for anyone that purchased this product to FIRST try it on just a couple gallons of water and make sure you can get it to a boil in under 30min. As others mentioned (and I should have remembered since my buddy brewed a batch before with one) these friers sound like whistling jet engines when you are really heating. Loud enough to be annoying if very close, and the flame will be practically touching the bottom of the pot. :mad:

For those wanting a deal on turkey fryers, wait until after thanksgiving, I got one at target for 19.99 (7.5 gal aluminum pot, burner, accessories). I upgraded to a keggle and will probably make a keggle HLT now that I do 10 gal boils, but it's been nice to have the pot and burner, will still use the burner.

OP here. Unfortunately I did not see this post earlier and had a horrible experience last night brewing my AHS Oatmeal Stout. I was only doing a partial boil (4 gallons) and I NEVER got to a boil. I thought I had a bum regulator because I found if I turned the needle valve almost off (while the flame was lit) and then quickly spun the knob open I could get a much larger flame....for about 1 second and then it would go back to its piddlingly slow rate. My thermometer was showing >200F but I never hit the boil. I kept thinking my tank was near empty but when I sloshed it around I could still here a good bit of liquid propane so I knew it wasn't that.

I was doing a late extract addition (~1/2-3/4lb extract with the hops since the Stout has so many steeping grains), and so needed to kill the heat with about 15min left.

I turned off the heat, added my malt, turned the heat back on and was shocked to see it now putting out about 3-4X the heat. I looked down at the burner and it was huge. I had not changed anything just physically turned off both the needle and the tank valves and then back on, but something had changed. Now with the heat much stronger I had to constantly stir the mixture to prevent burning on the bottom, but I still never took the batch to a complete boil (I had started to hydrate my yeast and was worried it would be less effective if it sat too long before being pitched). I hope this doesn't hurt me in taste later on.

My other fear is that since I was always trying to conserve heat (lid was on unless stirring) that some off-flavors may have been trapped that normally boil off (sulfates or something). Every previous batch I did was done uncovered as recommended but with this one I could barely hit 190F if I didn't have it completely covered. I should have realized something was seriously wrong, but just kept hoping it would magically boil. Now I realize as you did BigKahuna that something was messed up with the regulator.

To top off my horrible ordeal, while everything else went great in terms of setting up the fermenter after adding all the wort to the 2 gallons of water I had pre-boiled and cooled, I had what looks to be 6 gallons (or possibly even a hair more)! Remember I had virtually no water loss from the boil since it was practically covered the entire time and so my well planned thought of having more than 6 gallons pre-boil came back to bite me in the arse. I was so ticked I carried the full carboy downstairs, popped in the airlock and had to leave the house for a bit or risk going Office Space on the burner.

I'll need to go back and actually read the instructions to see if there was something I did wrong when lighting (ie you HAVE to do it a specific way or the regulator acts wierd). I doubt it, and will chalk it up to dumb luck, but I would recommend for anyone that purchased this product to FIRST try it on just a couple gallons of water and make sure you can get it to a boil in under 30min. As others mentioned (and I should have remembered since my buddy brewed a batch before with one) these friers sound like whistling jet engines when you are really heating. Loud enough to be annoying if very close, and the flame will be practically touching the bottom of the pot. :mad:

I do not think it will really matter since you were doing extract. Except for the hop utilization....but I would think if dry hopping works, so would 60 minutes at around 190. Not sure though about the DMS since you kept the lid on, maybe someone else knows with extract.

Oh man...sorry to hear you had such issues on your session 7E!!!
I need to do another boil on this thing before I brew I think.
While my test with 5gal went well for the conditions I was in, I think I could do better.
I don't think I will be doing 5gal boils though for a bit....for now partials work fine as I learn.
So, I think I'll boil like 3 gal next time and time it....I still need to pick up some flashing though for sure. Wind blows. (pun intended)

I went looking for some posts on prepping the aluminum prior to using but had little to no luck. Oh well hopefully it won't be noticeable since its such a hearty beer (Oatmeal stout).

I never bothered with the oven method as I'd rather do a boil and have that be a test run before I use it to brew.
My test run went OK with this burner...I learned that I need to use flashing for a wind block in any wind for sure to maximize the power of this thing. But for it being cold, dark, and very windy it went well enough lol.
I'm actually going to do another test run before I brew...since I do partial boils, this time I will do about 3gal instead of 5 and note timing etc.

Question: Can you do the initial 30 minute boil to make the oxide layer, then let that water cool to strike temperature and use that boiled water for your mash?

Seems like that would be easier, and less wasteful, than boiling 6-7 gallons, dumping it, then heating up fresh water for the mash.

Hello everyone, OP again. After searching for a grill for my dad for father's day I came across this post for a 20-gallon tank adapter (basically the same thing that our turkey frier uses for regulation of flame level). Seems like this is what happened to me and why when I turned the gas back on after adding the wort (and this would have been on low to prevent scorching while I made sure it was all dissolved) I got the much larger flame that would have actually gotten me to boiling. This would also explain several members different experiences with this (ie some people couldn't get large amounts of water to boil, while others it only took 20 min). Here's the post:

BYPASS INSTRUCTIONS
GAS GO ANYWHERE, WEBER Q + BABY Q
Since 1995, all regulators on gas barbecues have a safety device which restricts the gas flow in the event of a gas leak. You can inadvertently activate the safety device without having a gas leak. Typically, this occurs if you open the LP tank valve too rapidly, or if the valve + regulator assembly is in a slightly open position when opening the LP tank valve.
Your must remember when you are grilling you should always do the tank valve first and then the valve + regulator assembly when you start grilling or stop grilling. Never turn off the valve + regulator assembly before the tank. Gas is trapped in the valve + regulator assembly and adapter hose and the next time you turn on the tank, that residual gas in the line will back up and trigger the safety device.

Also, when you start grilling, you should open the tank valve V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y, about ¼ turn at a time until it is all the way open before you turn on your valve + regulator assembly to light the grill even is it takes 30 seconds to a full minute. If you've just had your tank refilled, it has a lot more pressure in it at first than after you use it for awhile. That may trigger the safety device sometimes, too. These conditions can be recurring. If it happens again, then you will need to go through the reset procedure again.

If you do activate the gas regulator safety device, the barbecue will only reach temperatures between 250 and 300 degrees, even with the valve + regulator assembly on the HIGH setting.

TO RESET THE GAS REGULATOR SAFETY DEVICE:

Open the barbecue lid.
1. Close the LP tank valve.
2. Turn valve + regulator assembly to the OFF position.
3. Wait at least 5 minutes if the barbecue had been lit
4. Disconnect the adapter hose from the LP tank.
5. Turn valve + regulator assembly to the HIGH position.
6. Wait at least 2 minutes, then turn valve + regulator assembly to the OFF position.
7. Re-connect the adapter hose to the LP tank.

RE-LIGHTING THE BARBECUE:

Open the barbecue lid.
1. SLOWLY open the LP tank valve 1/4 turns at a time all the way open.
2. With the lid open, turn valve + regulator assembly to the HIGH position.
3. Ignite the grill by pushing the crossover ignition button.
4. After the burner is lit, close the lid.
5. The barbecue should reach 500 to 550 degrees in 10-15 minutes.
WHEN YOU ARE DONE GRILLING:
Turn off the LP tank valve first
Turn valve + regulator assembly to the OFF position.

If you continue to have problems or questions, please refer to the "Support" section on our website at www.weberbbq.com and look under "gas grills FAQS" or "charcoal grills FAQS" or call us.

Thanks for that post 7E!!! I'll keep that in mind!

Wow, I think after the 2 rebates I received I paid only around $27 for this thing and now its $100 more?

INSANITY!

:rockin:

Back