false bottom idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndhome1

Reaction score
I use a retangle cooler to mash my grains. I was thinking of buying a piece of 3/8 thick plexglass and cut to fit the inside of the cooler. If i used some wooden dowels to keep the glass just higher then the drian tube, and drill a sh*tload of 1/8 holes would this work. I am looking for something much easier to clean, then the current screen method. This appears to be a cheap and easy fix for a false bottom.

My only concern would be if that type of plastic is food safe and will not leach any chemicals at high mashing temps of up to 185F. Many plastics are considered food safe, but not at high temperatures.

We made a cover for when we sparge using an old bucket cover that I drilled full of holes. It worked fine but is very hard to clean. SO if you do drill holes in plastic you need to figure a way to make the holes neat and clean so junk does not get into them.
good luck

great ideas, i used a brewing bucket for a short time, and had cut up 5 gal bucket and drilled the holes. it worked ok, but it hard to clean. From what I can find out about the plexglass it is food grade safe. I think I will use a drill press on the holes. I think the higher rpm may help with a cleaner holes

How high is the outlet? You could be looking at 1-2 gallons of dead space under there which would require a really thin mash. A stainless braid is so easy to clean already.

I also use a rectangle cooler. Two words: Copper Manifold works like a dream, and it is easy to clean.

I agree with the manifold (mine's pvc) but I would caution you on using wooden dowels. You never know what kind of fun stuff wood will soak up and be kind enough to contribute to you beer. Maybe consider some cheap shot glasses or something similar.

Another thing to consider is using the slowest speed you can on your drill press. Forstner bits are great for leaving nice clean holes, but i'm not sure if you can get them quite that small.

But seriously, consider doing the whole manifold thing. Mine is made with some scrap pvc piping and some joints i picked up at the hardware store. They fit nice and tight and I can take them apart for cleaning. Pretty cheap solution and may even be cheaper than messing with the plexi.

Use CPVC instead of PVC if you decide to go that route. I've used both CPVC and copper, and prefer copper. PVC shouldn't be used at mashing temps.

I went the manifold route w/ CPVC... works great!

DSC00092.JPG

Back