False bottom holes diameter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionut

Reaction score
Hi guys,
i want to take the plunge from BIAB to a more traditional set up. Not because i am not happy with BIAB but just because now i can have my own room only for brewing.
I found at a stainless steel workshop some "scrap" perforated stainless steel sheets that i can make a false bottom from, for fairly cheap.
They only had two dimensions, the first picture with 3 mm holes and the second picture with tinnier holes, i didn't asked what size they are but i think are about 1-1.5mm. Which to you think would work better for a false bottom in a HERMS system?

sita1.jpg

sita2.jpg

I have a Morebeer FB with 3/32 holes, which should correlate to 2.38mm. It'll pull grain husks and bits of grain through for the first minute or two of recirculation, until the grain bed sets up. I think 3mm is probably too big and would make the problem worse, so I'd lean towards the smaller holes. That said, I'm not sure how it would work for when using lots of wheat or rye in a recipe. I'd have some rice hulls on hand just in case you get a stuck mash with those smaller holes.

The smaller ones are 1 mm in diameter and 2.5 mm thickness! :O The price is also good, but i am also concerned about stuck mashes. I will try to find some sheet with 2 mm diameter holes, but it will be hard to find. Over here they only sell by the whole metal sheet, that translates to 2mx1m of perforated stainless...

Latest posts

Back