Falconer's Flight Session IPA Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have about 5oz of Falconer's flight getting old in my freezer so I want to use it up. I also want to try brew my first session IPA so was thinking of brewing a Falconer's flight based one.

I have a 55lb sack of Vienna malt so want to make that the base malt. Looking through lots of SIPA recipes the malt bill for a Ballast Point's Even Keel clone stood out.

I also have some WLP005 in the fridge so I can use that instead of the combination of WLP001 and WLP002 which BP supposedly use. I will mash around 153 or 154 to keep it from getting too dry.

I will use Target to bitter as I want to use that up too and it seems a shame to use FF for bittering.

Anyway I hear that FF is a good hop blend for a middle of the road NW IPA flavour profile. However I would like to make it a bit more special and dry hop it with something more "exotic". :fro:

Here is the recipe I have so far without the dry hop.

OG 1.045 IBU 40

3.80 kg Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) 82.6 %
0.50 kg Biscuit Malt (45.3 EBC) 10.9 %
0.30 kg CHÂTEAU CARA RUBY® (50.0 EBC) 6.5 %
10.00 g Target [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min 14.7 IBUs
30.00 g Falconer's Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min 8.3 IBUs
40.00 g Falconer's Flight [10.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min 16.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [35.49 ml]

I want to add max 2 different hops for dry hopping, adding up to about 2oz. I'd also prefer to use something that is not already included in the FF blend, so I'm thinking of 1oz each of Amarillo and Mosaic.

Would these compliment the FF?

If anyone has a better suggestion I have the following hops to chose from:

FF, Columbus, Galaxy, Willamette, Mosaic, El Dorado, Vic Secret, Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Fuggels, EKG, Saphir, Topaz, Summit, Target, Styrian Goldings, Aurora, Belma, Saaz, Sorachi Ace and Perle

Thanks for reading this far! :p

:tank:

So no replies yet.

I was looking at the Even Keel clone I found again and it has 3oz of hops in the dry hop.

So I'm going to go a bit crazy on this one and add 1oz each of Amarillo and Mosaic and 1/2oz of Galaxy.
No idea how that will turn out but they are all hops I really like on their own so I'm sure it will be tasty :ban:

I don't plan on brewing for another month so any feedback is still appreciated. :tank:

I say go for it. I just kegged an all FF hopped IPA. There's about 6oz in a 2.5 gallon batch. DC Brau makes an amazing FF DIPA called Wings of Armageddon or something like that. It was terrific.

I usually use 5oz dry hop (split between primary and keg) for my 2.5 gallon batches. The aroma is killer.

I say go for it. I just kegged an all FF hopped IPA. There's about 6oz in a 2.5 gallon batch. DC Brau makes an amazing FF DIPA called Wings of Armageddon or something like that. It was terrific.

I usually use 5oz dry hop (split between primary and keg) for my 2.5 gallon batches. The aroma is killer.

Thanks.

I'll give it a go. :rockin:

Its a grapefruit bomb.

Looks like a citrus fruit juice :cross:
You have some wheat in there?

Still trying to decide if I just dry hop with a few ounces of FF or add something else. However I won't be hopping it as heavily as yours as I'm trying to make a session IPA.

Three weeks to decide what I will do.
Will probably change my mind 10 times before that :rolleyes:

Nope, no wheat! Just heavy handed dry hopping. Since that photo was taken its cleared up in the keg. I used 1.5oz FF in the primary fermenter and 2.5oz FF in keg. 2 weeks later and its still potent as when it was fresh. For the first week, it was all strawberry. When the flavors finally came together it settled to grapefruit.

So I brewed this two weeks ago.
I only did a 2.5 gallon batch and scaled everything down.
I also used a pack of US-05 instead of the WLP005.
I had a bit of a mix up and now my Smoked Black Rye IPA has been fermented with the WLP005. :eek:

Got an OG of 1.045 and FG 1.011
Approx. 4.5% alc. and 50 IBUs

In the meantime I found a Maine Dinner DIPA clone so I need the rest of my FF for that.

In the end I just put together some leftovers for the dry hop
1.25oz Mosaic
0.6oz Citra
0.5oz Summit

After 2 days in the bottle it's already tasting decent.
Cant wait until it's fully carbed :mug:

Latest posts

Back