Fairy Blood - Lagered Cherry Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggmatt

Reaction score
I got some free cherries last winter. Decided to try something new for summer. It turned out like honey cherry limeade. Whole roller coaster of flavors. Sweet honey at the start becomes tart refreshing cherry and finishes clean crisp lime. 6% alc/vol.

My original gravity was 1.061. Final was 1.009. It will vary according to the sugars in your cherries. The honey gives you 1.046.

They were tart bright red cherries. Not sure what kind. I froze them to keep till i was ready and break the cell walls.

You can use what ever citrus fruit you like for the zest and juice. Larger oranges/grapefruits should count as two. If you don't want citrus, you should use just the juice of one lemon for acids and nutrients.

I just used enough cinnamon for a bit of warmth and flavor blending, not taste. Be careful adding more as it is very strong in alcohol.

I used dark brown honey for the strong taste.

I used saflager s-23 yeast. It's fruity esters are a plus in melomels.

img_20160702_234056015-67388.jpg

5 pounds of cherries, pitted if needed.
5 pounds of honey
2 lemons zest & juice
2 limes zest & juice
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
Bohemian Lager Yeast
Yeast Nutrient (according to label)
5 ounces of corm sugar (for priming)
Water to 5 gallons

Simmer (160 degrees) cherries for 45 minutes.

Remove from heat, stir in honey, lemons, limes, and cinnamon.

Pour through metal strainer into a 5 gallon jug or bucket

Add water up to shoulder of the jug.

Attach airlock. Leave to cool to 70F

Prepare yeast and nutrient according to label in a bowl of luke warm water.

Add Yeast & Nutrient.

Shake with airlock off for 15 minutes.

Store at 55 degrees F.

In 24 to 48 hours it should begin bubbling.

After a week to 3 weeks, a day or two after bubbling stops, store at 70 degrees F for 24 hours.

Siphon into a clean 5 gallon jug.

Return to 55 degrees for 3 months.

Siphon into a bottling bucket.

Stir in priming sugar. Maybe an extra pack of yeast if your storing at 45 to 54 F.

Bottle.

Return to 55 degrees for 1 month. Longer if not carbonated fully.

Store at 35 degrees for up to 1.5 years.

This sounds amazing, I will need to give this a try next year. I plan on getting some cherries next year before my Aunt cuts down her cherry tree.

Back