Failed Pressure transfer - Problem with liquid quick disconnect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetal

Reaction score
I just tried to transfer a NEIPA I brewed from a Grainfather Conical fermenter to a keg using a pressure transfer kit and failed miserably. I started out by filling my keg with Starsan - and purging it with CO2. The black liquid QD allowed all the liquid to come out fine. Then I connected the other end of the pipe to the conical outlet (the black liquid QD remained connected to the keg) and connected a grey gas QD to the gas post on the keg to keep it open. Even when I turned up the pressure to 3 PSI - no beer was flowing into the keg (stationary bubbles - weight of keg not changing etc). I tried to reinstall the pressure transfer kit - checked all the fittings etc ... but nothing worked. Finally - out of frustration - I purged the keg and opened the top. I then proceeded to remove the black liquid QD and put the pipe into the keg directly (oxygen exposure be damned). As soon as I removed the liquid QD - beer gushed into the keg. So obviously the pressure transfer kit was working and nothing was blocked on the fermenter side.
Question is - is the black liquid QD a one-way valve (i.e. it only allows liquid out but not in)? A quick search does not seem to indicate that ... but one never knows. Could my liquid out post be blocked? Would I have problems dispensing the beer? Thanks.

The QD is not a ck valve. It allows flow eith way which is why you can fill thru it and dispense thru it.

IMO: 1) There Is a blockage either in the poppet, QD, or dip tube. 2) You’re going to have to find that blockage or you won’t get beer out of that keg.

When you "connected a grey gas QD to the gas post on the keg" did it release the CO2 pressure in the keg? It sounds like the pressure in the keg was higher than 3 psi which prevented the beer from moving to the keg. The fact that you "finally I purged the keg to open the top" confirms that there was pressure in the keg.

I normally just open the pressure release valve on the keg as I am making the transfer and have nothing on the gas post. If there is 3 psi in the fermenter and 0 psi in the keg the beer will flow if there are no blockages.

Back