Extreme over oxygenation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoadedMonk

Reaction score
So I had a great helles brewday and finished it off by pitching some Bavarian lager yeast. I started my oxygenation setup at 1 lpm, walked away and forgot about it until I walked back into the garage 2 hours later. Half of my welding tank was gone and a mess of foam all over the floor.

How screwed am I? Any negative effects from complete saturation for so long. I had the beer sitting at 50F the whole time. My hope is that at most I just wasted oxygen and the yeast are happy.

I have a feeling you're on poorly charted ground here - it's a rather unusual scenario after all.
But, I don't think you can actually get to a yeast-lethal O2 concentration at atmospheric pressure.
And as the fun was over very quickly wrt yeast replication I suspect you're going to find no ill effects aside from the mess...

Cheers!

Yeah I figured this would be uncharted more or less as I couldn't find any reference to anyone else doing this.

I did a taste test today and it tastes good. The yeast must have been happy with it because my gravity dropped 7 points over the first 15 hours of yeast contact (if my tilt it to be believed). Must have been a very short growth phase.

Back