Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteKap

Reaction score
Hello all, I just made a chocolate stout using 4 oz cacao nibs and 4 oz of chocolate extract. It came out gr8. My question is how much extract can I use at the point of bottling and still have my beer carb correctly? I am thinking of doing the same beer but also adding 4 oz of coconut extract. Kind of looking for a mounds kind of taste. Your thoughts? thx in advance.

What is this extract that you speak of? Normally when someone refers to extract with respect to beer it is malt extract, which has a specific sugar content.

If it is an alcohol based extract used for flavoring foods, you can probably use as much as you like; it has no sugars to affect priming, and the amount of alcohol will be minimal in a batch to affect the overal alcohol content to the extent that you reach the yeast tolerance to alcohol.

I used brewers best chocolate extract for flavoring right before bottling. I am concerned about carbonation not alcohol.

I used brewers best chocolate extract for flavoring right before bottling. I am concerned about carbonation not alcohol.
You’ll be fine for carbonation but be careful with extracts. I think they always leave a funny alcohol/ cough syrup taste. And it takes forever for them to mellow out while conditioning in the bottle. I’d plan on a month at least. That’s if you notice the off flavor. I’ve had some people try mine with extract and they didn’t notice it, but I couldn’t stand to finish a bottle

You’ll be fine for carbonation but be careful with extracts. I think they always leave a funny alcohol/ cough syrup taste. And it takes forever for them to mellow out while conditioning in the bottle. I’d plan on a month at least. That’s if you notice the off flavor. I’ve had some people try mine with extract and they didn’t notice it, but I couldn’t stand to finish a bottle
I'm the same way. I hate extracts. However, I will say that BB Chocolate is pretty damn good. THat's the only extract I've found that tastes good.

Back