Extract???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tizzomes

Reaction score
I've brewed 5 batches so far 2 kits, 1 Irish Red(Joy of Home Brewing Book) which is bottled and ready to be drank.A Deception Cream Stout from this site(bottled), and a Dogfish Head 60 Clone also from this site.I plan on attempting a BIAB method next, BUT any help on improving extact brews before I move on, I know they could be better......

I don't know what the recipes are, but if you don't want to go all-grain, try throwing in liquid yeast or specialty malts into the mix.

Stick to one extract, whatever you prefer. Get your color and flavor from steeping grains, boil as big as you can.

Stay extract is a matter of opinion. One I humbly disagree on. AG allows much more control on making beers. I've done a ton of extract and much prefer AG, yes it does take some more time, but it's not that bad, It's not like you're doing something all the time, I think of it as using all the wait time (few hours waiting for strike water to boil and hour mash) to do all the cleaning/sanitizing you need to do anyway. Once you get to the boil it is piss easy and you wonder what you spent all your time on before doing AG. I don't usually have a beer until my batch sparge, and that is essentially where I started when I did extract.
On that note, there is nothing wrong with extract at all. The biggest difference for me is I always tasted an extra sweetness from the extract which I don't get in my AG brews.
Do what you prefer man, it is all good beer.

This is my opinion from personal experience only. I've never made an extract only batch or a all grain batch but I've done LME with steeped specialty grains and since moved on to partial mash with DME. Some of my observations and biases are:

-The quality of Partial mashes are significantly better than the extract/steeped grain batches

-It seems like the DME adds less sour/extract flavor than LME in your beer

-Stay away from recipes that add simple sugar, honey or fruit

-If you are sure you are going to stick with brewing for awhile and are ready to invest a lot more money and change your process you will get more enjoyment/increased quality out of Kegging than going all grain. On the other hand, it is a lot cheaper to get the equipment for all grain brewing than a kegging set up. If you can afford it and have the time do both.

To the OP - my suggestion is similar to an earlier one. Pick a style that you enjoy and work on variations. Try different hops combinations. Grow your own hops. Experiment with whole, leaf and pellet to see the differences. Try color variations. See how pale you can make it while still retaining the beer's character (making is darker is simple). Try for greater clarity using a variety of techniques.

Think of this as a musician practicing the scales. You get deeply immersed in the basics of one style and you will find it very easy to read and understand the recipes for others, and to recognize how you can improvise within your style and in others.

As far as extract versus AG, do as you feel. It is not an absolute truth that "AG is always better." Controlling and understanding your processes is what is most important. The skill of the brewer is what makes a good beer.

Back