Extract to grain recipe conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennihana

Reaction score
I need help converting a recipe i cant seem to find where to find what grains to use instead of DME.

1.5 kg of Muntons light malt extract
1.5 kg of Muntions medium malt extract

can any one help me with what grain malts to use and how much?

The ratio is generally considered to be:
1 Grain = 0.75 LME = 0.6 DME

3 kg LME = 4 kg Grain

Muntons light would likely just be a straight british 2row conversion, but the muntons medium will more likely be some 2row plus specialty. I would guess that 3.75 kg british 2row (maris otter, golden promise, pearl, etc) and 0.25 british medium crystal (45-77L) should get you close. It might be easier to see the whole grainbill to make a more educated conversion.

HTH!

sad to say that was the grain bill for the beer. 3kg of DME and 1 oz of hops for just a simple light amber ale. thats why i was curious of what the grain version would be so i could try to visualise what the flavor of such a simple beer would be.

IMO, coming up with a substitute that will be the same as the extract version is impossible. You do not know what was used in the extracts to make one light and the other medium.

It would be better and easier to look for a recipe for a beer that is what you are looking for.

I use Beersmith and use proven recipes, then adjust for my tastes or substitute for ingredients I already have.

i was kind of hoping there might have been a spreadsheet or something that might describe what each malt extract is made from. but sounds like i might be out of luck. thanks for the input though.

Back