Extract to all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munch671

Reaction score
I am still fairly new to brewing and a lot of the recipes I would like to try are all grain, however I am still doing all extract.

Was wonder if I can switch to all grain with the current setup I have, (Boiling pots, primary secondary fermenter s, strainer, etc)or do I need all the other equipment like a mash tun, grain mill and so on?

I guess I'm wondering what the definition of "All Grain" really means. I have done partial grain in my boils with grain bags (grains already crushed) before, and then adding malt extract.

What's the difference?

Thanks in advance!

Munch

You will need to have at least a mash tun for all grain, and the ability to do a full wort boil, usually a 7 gal boil kettle. you should check out some of the how too's for specifics. I suggest and most around here will agree that you should make the jump, but only when you are ready and have the means to do so.

Here is the link to the All-grain section in the Wiki
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/All_Grain_Brewing_Simplified

Cheers

There is also another thread started about the same topic

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25729

You do not need a grain mill. Unless and until you start buying grain in bulk. Online grain sellers or LHBS will mill the grain for you. The book "How to Brew" by the same guy as the web site is good and is more indepth, also a worthwhile investment. Another the book "Brew Ware" helped me understand what equipt. was used for what and has a lot of stuff you can make yourself if you are into that sort of thing.

My suggestion is to buy the biggest and best equipt. you can afford and look on the classified ads on this forum for people getting out of the hobby or selling off equipt. because they've upgraded.

Did my first all-grain last night. What I added to my extract kit was:

5 gal cooler converted with a SS braid, #3 drilled stopper, short piece of 3/8" OD copper tubing, and some 3/8" plastic tubing. The valve is raising the tube above the level of the water

30 quart turkey fryer

I used my original 20 quart pot for heating the mash and sparge water and everything after the boil is basically the same. One thing to be aware of is with a full wort boil you have to put extra effort to add oxygen back into the wort. I bought a wort sprayer that attaches to the end of a siphon tube, this sprays the wort as I siphon it into the fermenter and allows the pickup of oxygen during the transfer.

Craig

Have you read Charlie Papazian's book? It's got some great info, is a good reference, and has some ideas for getting into AG without spending a lot of $$. You should be able to make the switch for between $50-100 if you're on a budget.

Awesome!

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints.

Lil' Sparky, about half way through Charlie's book now, that's what was getting me interested, well that and the yummy all grain recipes.

Munch

Back