Extract or specialty grain Red Rye Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounddog

Reaction score
Have been searching the web but to no avail. Anyone have a recipe for a Red Ale recipe that has a slight rye flavor? I visited a microbrewery once that offered a Red Rye on tap that was simply delicious. Nice color, smooth head, smooth taste, IBU of 35, ABW of 4.2, just a hint of rye bite aftertaste.

Hounddog said:
Have been searching the web but to no avail. Anyone have a recipe for a Red Ale recipe that has a slight rye flavor? I visited a microbrewery once that offered a Red Rye on tap that was simply delicious. Nice color, smooth head, smooth taste, IBU of 35, ABW of 4.2, just a hint of rye bite aftertaste.

After many nights of searching the web, I finally found a recipe that looks very promising.
Hounddog :D

Hounddog said:
After many nights of searching the web, I finally found a recipe that looks very promising.
Hounddog :D

Care to post the link/recipe?? :)

snookmz said:
Care to post the link/recipe?? :)

snookmz,
No here it is. I'm going to use Briess malt extract, roasted barley if I can't find flaked barley and WYeast Irish Ale #1084 when I make it.

Irish Red Rye
Ingredients for 5 gallons:
7 lbs amber malt extract
1/2 lb 60L crystal malt
1/2 lb rye
1/2 lb flaked barley
1/2 oz Northern brewer 45min
1/2 oz Northern brewer 30min
1/2 oz cascade 15 min
1/2 oz cascade 5 min
I used liquid Irish ale yeast, but just about any ale yeast should be fine.

Hounddog

Back