Extract, better late than never

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefIlliniwek

Reaction score
Murphy's Law is a real thing people. It's also my family motto.

So I'm finally brewing my Oktoberfest tonight, since it's November 2nd, and all. It's an extract kit from Great Fermentations. I'm chugging along, get my water up to a boil, add my can of extract, get the wort back up to a boil, and throw in the Hallertau hops. It starts bubbling, but not to the point of a boil-over, which I usually expect when I'm boiling 6.5 gallons in a 8 gallon kettle. I thought it was odd, but I kept going. So then I'm talking on the phone to my parents during the 60 minute boil, and I add some Irish moss with 20 minutes left on the boil. I forgot to set the timer, so I had to take a swag at how much time was left in the boil. No big deal, not worried about that.

I drop in my copper wort chiller and get that turned on, and end up spilling water all over the place because not only is my hose from the laundry hookup leaking, the output hose from the chiller popped out of the bucket that I dropped it in and started spraying water under my stove. I finally get the wort cooled down, and start transferring the wort to my fermenter. I step away for two seconds, and the plastic hose disconnects from the hard plastic wand that was clipped to the side of the bucket, and starts spraying wort everywhere. So after I fix that I take a hydrometer sample. I didn't even look at it until after I had the yeast pitched with the lid on the damn fermenter. 1.032. 1.032? That seems low. I look at the recipe, and it's supposed to be 1.044 - 1.054. WTF?!

So then I start backtracking my steps. I added my can of extract.... Oh maybe that should have been two? Yep. Stupid me left the second can of extract down on my desk in the basement. So then I got to try opening the lid on the fermenter while my hands were still wet with Starsan. After calling myself all sorts of inappropriate words, I finally got the lid open and started dumping the second can of extract in there while stirring like a madman. I took a sample after I was finished. 1.054.

So other than the knowledge that the second can of extract didn't boil and could possibly introduce an infection to my batch of wort, what else could go wrong here?

So other than the knowledge that the second can of extract didn't boil and could possibly introduce an infection to my batch of wort, what else could go wrong here?

I would think that is about it, assuming you got the second can mixed in all the way.. let's just call this an extremely late extract addition; it should do wonders for the color haha. If you had good sanitation otherwise, you should have a pretty good shot of making some good beer.

Back