Extra Pale Ale Kit, Recommendations/Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshay

Reaction score
This will be my 4th extract brew to date, and I plan on making the Extra Pale Ale from NB. A few ideas that I have is to use liquid yeast and I might want to dry hop it depending on your guy's thoughts.

I was thinking of dry hoping it with one oz. of Citra hops, or should I use Cascade since that is the only hop used in the kit? The Citra hop just sounded like it had more of a citrus/grapefruit smell to it which sounded really good. Also when should I add the hops to the secondary if I plan on leaving the brew in the secondary for 2 weeks after 1 week in the primary, and and fine mesh bag is what I would want to use with the pellet hops right?

Second, is the yeast. The kit recommends using the Wyeast 1056. I was thinking of using either the Wyeast or try a WhiteLabs. If I use 001 or 002 WhiteLabs which would you recommend. Also, is there a noticeable difference between the WhiteLabs and Wyeast mentioned above?

Here is the kit I would be buying:

1lbs of Belgian Caramel Pils
6lbs Gold Malt Syrup (split addition 60 &15 min)
2oz Cascade at 60 min
1oz Cascade at 1 min
(probably gonna use Irish Moss at 15 min)

Any help or recommendations would appreciated.

Cheers :mug:

I like to dry hop around 10-14 days before going to bottles, preference really, I've done 7days as well. Citra is awesome, big grapefruit nose on it when used for dry hopping. I brew with Cascade a lot, probably more than any other hop, the two would go well together so if you want that nose, go for it!

Word to the wise though, you use Citra as a dry hop and you may sniff your beer way more than usual.

1056 - again, probably the one yeast I've used the most. Really a big fan of Wyeast's AA2 as well, 1272 I believe, my IPA go to in most cases and it may suit this beer well, from Wyeast: "1272 - a soft, clean profile with hints of nut, and a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character."

Either or would work and the Citra won't hurt anything, I say make your choices and brew it up.

I like to dry hop around 10-14 days before going to bottles, preference really, I've done 7days as well. Citra is awesome, big grapefruit nose on it when used for dry hopping. I brew with Cascade a lot, probably more than any other hop, the two would go well together so if you want that nose, go for it!

Word to the wise though, you use Citra as a dry hop and you may sniff your beer way more than usual.

Either or would work and the Citra won't hurt anything, I say make your choices and brew it up.

Thanks for the advice on the Citra, I am thinking that sounds like what I want as a noise for my brew. Something that smells amazing, but not to strong so that I can give this to a few people to break them into craft beers/hombrew. Gonna do a little bit more research on the yeast and how long to dry hop for. Thanks for the help!

Cheers :mug:

I made a clone of this kit from ingredients purchased at my LHBS, with a few slight changes. I used 1 oz of cascade @ 60, 1 oz @ 10, and 1 oz @ 1. After 2 weeks in the primary I dry hopped with 1 oz of cascade, which is where it is now. After a week like that I'm going to cold crash the in the fridge for a few days, then bottle. I'm not using (and don't have) a secondary. I used the 1056. No clue on final taste, obviously, but my gravity samples have been solid and the aroma, especially since adding the dry hops, is absolutely amazing and VERY citrusy. I'm excited for this one.

Anchor Steam's Breckles Brown uses only Citra hops if you want to see what they contribute you might try one.

Thanks might try to pick one up and give it a try.

And your extra pale sounds like it would be really good, almost like a ipa sounding with all the extra hops lol. But I am really looking for a citrus/grapefruit smell so which hop would you prefer more for that category?

cheers :mug:

I made a clone of this kit from ingredients purchased at my LHBS, with a few slight changes. I used 1 oz of cascade @ 60, 1 oz @ 10, and 1 oz @ 1. After 2 weeks in the primary I dry hopped with 1 oz of cascade, which is where it is now. After a week like that I'm going to cold crash the in the fridge for a few days, then bottle. I'm not using (and don't have) a secondary. I used the 1056. No clue on final taste, obviously, but my gravity samples have been solid and the aroma, especially since adding the dry hops, is absolutely amazing and VERY citrusy. I'm excited for this one.

I looked up a little on cold crashing, but could you answer a few questions about that also? Cold crashing help clear the beer up while letting proteins reset in the bottom of the carboy, so do you have to let the beer warm up before you bottle it? Also do you have to gradually lower the temperature or is just setting it in the fridge for a day or two straight ok? Lastly will it affect the taste at all, or is it simply just for a clearer beer?

Back