Explosion waiting to happen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nekrowizard

Reaction score
I made a fruit mead with some wild yeast, and panic bottled it a month into fermentation at the start of the pandemic. This was extremely dumb, I have since learned patience and why this is a terrible idea. I bottled in standard 12floz beer bottles, some have exploded and there is a sticky unattenuated mess peppered with glass shards on the floor. Our current working solution is to put a heavy plastic bucket over the unexploded 6pack and permanently lock the door. I can draw a map of the extended closet it's in if needed. Do I have to call a bomb squad for my ferment? Any advice helps.

This is in the basement of a research building, I need to follow general OSHA regulations, and can have people assisting me. If you know me irl, please be kind.

One 6-pack only?

Remove with long leather (welding) gloves and face protection, then drink up! Or recap for further transport. They may gush, so open and capture inside a bucket or some sturdy (plastic) bin.

sounds great, what do you reccomend for face protection?
Full face protection. Think of shards of glass that can be flying around.
I've seen pictures of the aftermath of how bottle bombs destroyed a bathroom, shards embedded deep into the plaster/drywall and (fiberglass) tub, and shattered glass surrounds.

Definitely fully enclosing eye goggles, and a face shield.

tbh if u already have a trash can over it before you take it off id bang the trash can against the 6 pack a few times. If any explode then, you just dodged a bullet. If they don't explode from that then I'd bet you'd be safe handling them to uncap. I'd also recommend some rubber gloves or mechanics gloves.

Motorcycle helmet, full face shield.

Not joking. Bottle-bombs are nothing to trifle with.

Put them in the fridge and leave there until fully chilled in a day or so. That will drive some of the CO2 back into solution, and reduce (but not eliminate) the excess pressure.

Wrap a towel around a bottle, carefully open, and pour. You might still get a volcano.

I do not know it opening and re-capping right away is the safest solution. I would consider opening to relieve the pressure, then "cap" with a couple layers of aluminum foil. Hold it in place with rubber band. I have read about people using gallons or maybe a condom.

You used wild yeast, so you've pretty lost your ability to say, "Oh heavens. I could not do that. My mead might get infected!"

I have a minifridge that isn't too important to me. I truly don't care about gushing or even the beverage itself so much as getting rid of the bottle bombs. There'll be other brewskis. Thinking about hooking the fridge up, getting it chilled, and then cold crashing the explosive bottles. Would you reccomend a welding helmet and gloves, protective jacket, and then i uncap bottles slowly inside the fridge?

I have a minifridge that isn't too important to me. I truly don't care about gushing or even the beverage itself so much as getting rid of the bottle bombs. There'll be other brewskis. Thinking about hooking the fridge up, getting it chilled, and then cold crashing the explosive bottles. Would you reccomend a welding helmet and gloves, protective jacket, and then i uncap bottles slowly inside the fridge?
Sure, that will work. @MaxStout mentioned wrapping a towel around them when opening.

If you need to transport them, they may explode due to vibration and pressure/temperature changes, so be safe.

If its just a 6 pack, why expose yourself to possible harm? Set them on a fence ( a safe distance away) and invite some friends over for for target practice and homebrew afterwards....
1631540973507.png

A research building? You are at the right place! In the name of research, why don't you get a couple bottles down to almost but not quite freezing. Then open them and tell us the result.

You can probably just wrap a heavy towel around them to protect you from any that might shatter as you move them. And as always, wear safety glasses. Safety goggles or face shield will be better though.

Back