Exploding Bottles Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChimayLover

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just tasted my first bottle, and it was awesome! Still cloudy, but it had good carbonation and a head that lasted all the way through drinking, as well as a great taste and aroma...I am worried though, because it had only been bottle conditioning 3 days! I used 5/8 of a cup of dry dextrose in about 4 gallons of beer. Most of the posts ive read regarding carbonation state that the beer will carbonate over a period of 7-14 days...should I be worried about my bottles exploding, since I have such good carbonation after only 3? I know I should RDWHAHB, but I would love for you guys to help put my mind at ease!

Thanks,

MIke

You overprimed a bit. You should have used only 3/4 C.

It also depends on the temp. Conditioning your bottles at or above 70 is a standard practice.

If your carb level is where you like it it is time to put all your bottles in the cold to retard the carb process. If not, it could lead to bottle grenades.

It'll carb up in 3 days but the taste will mellow over the next three weeks...

I did this with my first beer...started drinking after a week in bottles and it was good but now about a month and a half later or so....it's awesome and I only have 4 bottles left!

I'm not saying to wait that long BUT the longer you can keep your hands off of it the better it'll taste

RDWHA-Commerical Beer.....for now

Hmmm, I dont think I overprimed though, I used about 5/8 of priming sugar instead of the 3/4 because I had less than 5 gallons...5/8=.625, 3/4=.75...Also, some of the sugar was left on the bottom of my bucket as sediment....

ChimayLover said:
Hmmm, I dont think I overprimed though, I used about 5/8 of priming sugar instead of the 3/4 because I had less than 5 gallons...5/8=.625, 3/4=.75...Also, some of the sugar was left on the bottom of my bucket as sediment....

.....I gree with you on this one;)

I bet you'll be fine....but you wont know until one goes pop.

The carbonation speed depends on the temperature and the amount of yeast. The total carbonation depends on the amount of primer. If you have good carbonation then it is time to cool the bottles and put the yeast to sleep.

Back