Experimental Arnold Palmer Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdrummer24

Reaction score
He guys, I recently discovered a close friend of mine is taking a fermentation class. While looking over his textbook I ran across a green tea and chai mead that got some ideas churning. I was thinking of doing a gallon of mead with 3lbs honey, and then a liquid base of home brewed non sweetened ice tea (not actually iced though of course) and lemon juice. Maybe a half a fresh lemon and a mint leaf or two added during primary? I'm not very seasoned so I'm open to opinions.

my only thought is that you may want to hold off on the lemon until later. yeast don't too much like pushing the pH too low too fast.

my only thought is that you may want to hold off on the lemon until later. yeast don't too much like pushing the pH too low too fast.

The actual lemon or the lemonade? I think the first mead recipe I saw actually used reconstituted concentrated lemonade as the liquid base so I didn't think that would be a problem.
If you mean the lemonad all together, would you suggest just a tea base and add pure peon juice later or what?
Thanks for your help.

I have been wanting to try this as well, a sweet tea/lemonade mead. My thought was to brew the tea and add the honey as its cooling, then once its done fermenting, stabilize and back sweeten with the lemonade until you reach your desired flavor. I think the flavor from the mint might be better extracted during secondary as well.

Back