Experiences with Williams Extracts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd_tom

Reaction score
So, I'm on batch 13 in my homebrewing hobby, and I've starting to see a pattern here (which may not be the case) when using williams extracts. Specifically I've done 3 batches with their Marris Otter extract, and 1 with their German Gold.. they seem to be the only ones with the first anymore, and the german gold seemed to be the best % of munich (other than weyermann's, which I didn't want to pony up the $ for).

Anyway, as the first 2 uses of the marris otter were pretty early on (batch 5 and 6) and I got FGs of 1.020. So, I've since added an aeration stones, making big starters, and made other overall improvements. Beer generally did better, I've had nice FGs in the low teens regularly.

However, Batch 12 and 13 I went back and used the german gold and then the marris otter. With 12 I was at OG 1.073, 1.026 FG before lagering (which, I pitched onto an entire yeast cake, aerated for 30 min). I imagine a few more points have come down since then. Batch 13 is 1.065 and so far it's at 1.023 (using WLP001, appropriate starter) after 3 weeks in primary, so think it's done.

Anyway, when a buddy of mine called me that's been doing AG complaining about 1.020 FG on a honey wheat kit he picked up from williams, that got me thinking that maybe their liquid extracts aren't as fermentable as one might prefer.

So I'm looking for people with experiences other than what I've had so i can go back to blame my process instead of the ingredients? :) Me and my buddies experiences isn't exactly a large sample.

All the more reason to go to AG I guess. Can't beat williams though on the different types of extracts it seems. Beer tastes good, and I'd still using them again, but might start playing with seeping some 2 row @ 150 for a bit with the extract to further convert it and other options.. at least till i splurge on AG gear.

Last time I used their MO was about 3 years ago. Got a 20 kg box of leftovers. The MO was in an ESB, 1.050->1.012 using Notty.

Back