experiences with the Idylis 7 cu foot freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallahasseeBrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm kinda new to HBT, brewing, and kegging...

now that that's out of the way, i recently picked up the Idylis 7 cu foot freezer... http://www.lowes.com/pd_462646-33112-ICM070LC_0__?productId=4756819

a johnson controls digital controller.. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00368D6JA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

and a basic kegging kit from my LHBS Homebrew Den.. http://store.homebrewden.com/complete-homebrew-keg-system-p985.aspx

now, I know a thumb tap is not ideal, and next paycheck i will be upgrading to a tower system (I just perfer the look of the tower).

my question is, has anyone else done a keezer setup with this freezer, and if so, how'd it go? also, can you guys think of anything im missing right now? I've got a brewers best american amber (xmas gift) and a Homebrew Den Belgain honey ale almost ready to go

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same freezer and controller, and it works great, next I have to built the collar.

Well, lowes delivered it this morning, it seems to fit 3 kegs, and the 5 pound tank may just squeeze in on the compressor hump. All im waiting on is the controller...damn you usps.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Home Brew mobile app

Mine just got delivered and I will measure and post the dimensions tonight. It looks like it won't have any trouble holding 3 ball locks and my 10# tank.

I've got 3 ball locks on the floor of one of these freezers right now. I also have a 20# CO2 tank on the floor and a fourth ball lock on the hump - I did build a big collar where I mounted my taps.

Big enough for 3 kegs easy. A 4th isn't possible but so far this thing is great!

1403524384667.jpg

1403524397973.jpg

1403524415314.jpg

I installed it for when I put sour/Brett beers on tap. That way I'm not cross-contaminating lines.

Brillance actually and a great call. Do you have to commit a keg to sours too?

BTW OP: You should take the interior dimensions and show pics of the freezer with kegs. Have it added to this thread. I was happy to find that thread because I wanted at least 4 taps, preferred 5, but wanted to try and keep the freezer size to around 7 cu. ft. I did just that using that thread and my 7.2 cu. ft. freezer holds 5 kegs and a 5 or 20 lb CO2 tank.

Hhmmm I'll have to do that. I bought this hoping for 4 taps but I cycle keys so quickly 3 is just fine too. But knowing that thread is there maybe I can help someone else out. 7.2 with 5 kegs is great!

Can someone post the internal dimensions or confirm whether or not a 5# CO2 tank will fit on the hump with no collar? Looking for a freezer that will hold 3 kegs and a 5# without a collar (prefer tower look). Thanks.

A 5# tank will indeed fit on the hump without a collar. However, the regulator would have to face downwards. :(

So it appears the tank will need to set on the bottom with 3 other kegs.

I only have 3 kegs, so I'm still not sure about fitting 4 ball lock kegs on the bottom. It would be a very tight fit. You would probably not be able to have the rubber bumpers on the kegs.

A 5# tank will indeed fit on the hump without a collar. However, the regulator would have to face downwards. :(

So it appears the tank will need to set on the bottom with 3 other kegs.

I only have 3 kegs, so I'm still not sure about fitting 4 ball lock kegs on the bottom. It would be a very tight fit. You would probably not be able to have the rubber bumpers on the kegs.

I appreciate the response. So to summarize - you could fit 3 ball locks and the CO2 on the bottom or you could put the CO2 on the hump and rotate the regulator to horizontal? That should work fine for me, only have 3 kegs, too. Thanks!

Just a warning, this chest freezer will fail and you'll void the warranty if you use it below 50 F. Ask me how I know....

I hope you mean that the ambient temperature shouldn't be below 50. If you mean the operating temperature, that would be a pretty crummy freezer.

I've had this freezer cooled to ~41 with a Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller for about 6 months now and it has been cooling just great, but has started making a weird annoying buzzing noise as it starts up the cooling system that goes away after ~5 minutes. Very annoying.

I was never able to figure out how to modify the limit screw to get it to cool to the right temperature without another mechanism.

For those reading this thread, I also bought a Elitech 110V All-Purpose Temperature Controller+ Sensor 2 Relay Output Thermostat Stc-1000 but it was not obvious how to install it to replace the existing system so I ended up getting the Johnson Controls controller to make things easier.

I don't think I'd buy this freezer again. I'd get something a little higher quality.

Back