Experience with Kenmore 13 or 15 cf chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
I was looking at the Kenmore chest freezers today for my Keezer project, the Kenmore 13 cu. ft. and the 14.8 cu. ft. models. I prefer the smaller 13 cf model because of the six inch length difference. Otherwise they are about the same.

The usable interior dimensions are 22 by 28 inches for the 13cf and 22 by 33 inches for the 14.8 cf. I can fit seven kegs in the 13cf model and eight in the 14.8 cf.

There is also a 9.25 wide by 22 inch deep hump for the compressor at one end, on which I could fit a couple of 2.5 or 3 gallon cornies, but it's otherwise wasted space. My 20 cf gas cylinder is too tall to fit on the hump, even if I use a 10 inch collar, which is taller than I want anyway.

So that means my cylinder has to go down on the floor with the kegs, bringing my keg capacity down to 6 and 7 respectively, or it has to go outside the keezer.

Are there any negatives to putting the gas bottle outside the keezer? I want to attach the collar to the lid, so I figure it would be best to drill a hole through the side or back of the freezer for the gas line. How hard is it to determine where the coolant lines are? Or maybe I should drill through the back of the collar where it is hinged. Then it won't move much when I open the door. That sounds safer than drilling through the wall.

EDIT: I double-checked and adjusted the mockup dimensions I taped on the floor of my kitchen, and it looks like I could fit nine ball-lock kegs in the 14.8, or 8 plus my 20 cf CO2 bottle. Anyone know for sure?

I also found that Best Buy has the same fridge for less than Sears does.

EDIT: I double-checked and adjusted the mockup dimensions I taped on the floor of my kitchen, and it looks like I could fit nine ball-lock kegs in the 14.8, or 8 plus my 20 cf CO2 bottle. Anyone know for sure?

If you really want to make sure everything will fit, take a bunch of paper or cardboard circles to the store and lay them out in the actual freezer, as EdWort shows in the sticky. I'd never trust the published dimensions, especially if it seems that it'd be a tight squeeze getting in all that you want.

I didn't use published dimensions. I went to the store and took measurements myself. Then I laid it out on the floor of my kitchen with string and tape and used actual kegs to fill the footprint.

I ordered a Fridgidaire 14.8 cu ft chest freezer and a Fridgidaire 19.2 cu ft today from Best Buy. They are the same as the Sears Kenmore models. Deliver will take several weeks, bummer. The 14.8 is for my Keezer. The 19.2 for cow.

Back