Expected Specific Gravity After One Week in Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megachimp

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Made a 5g batch of a ESB 7-days ago.

SG was 1.056

One week in it's sitting at 1.021. So rougly 4.6% ABV

I'm expecting that 1.021 to be lower for a final ABV of 5.25-5.3%ABV

Using dry yeast London ESB
Fermenter has been around 65-67% for the 7 days.

Should I expect any further fermentation or after 7-days is that dry yeast done? I don't see any activity in the airlock

Where are you getting it should be 5.25%? From a software or kit instructions?

What was the estimated OG?

Where are you getting it should be 5.25%? From a software or kit instructions?

What was the estimated OG?

According to Beersmith, my OG should have been 1.057 so I was looking pretty good there. FG is supposed to be 1.017 for a final ABV of 5.25%.

So you are about 4 points off. That is normal. Any program will be off slightly at times. They use a calculation to determine estimated OG and FG. It isn't an exact figure. They are usually within a few points. The best way to determine your actual FG is to run a fast ferment test. This will tell you what your FG should be for that wort and that specific yeast you are using.

For this batch, I'd say your beer is done and is just 4 points higher than estimated (which is not bad at all). Wait a day or two and take a sample again. If it stays the same, you are good to package.

So you are about 4 points off. That is normal. Any program will be off slightly at times. They use a calculation to determine estimated OG and FG. It isn't an exact figure. They are usually within a few points. The best way to determine your actual FG is to run a fast ferment test. This will tell you what your FG should be for that wort and that specific yeast you are using.

For this batch, I'd say your beer is done and is just 4 points higher than estimated (which is not bad at all). Wait a day or two and take a sample again. If it stays the same, you are good to package.

OK. Thanks. I was just concerned that the ABV might end up being too low for what the beer is. According to the style guidelines Strong Bitters should be between 4.6-6.2% ABV. I wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong if mine ultimately comes in at the extreme low end of that range (which it seems like it's going to) considering beersmith believed I'd end up in the middle of that range.

I bet if you had your beer side by side with the same beer at FG of 1.017, you wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference. You'll be good to go.

You may get the last few points you want if you warm the fermenter up. Give it another 5 to 7 days at 72 to 75 and see what you get.

Heh, so turns out I'm good to go. This was my first ferment using a Tilt Hydrometer. I was reading a few forum posts about it and apparently it's not uncommon for the hydrometer to get "stuck" either by some bubbles or something floating. It was suggested to give the fermenter a slight swirl/shake (not introducing any air) and chances are it'll free up and start reading accurately again.

So, I did that and after things settled down again, the Tilt started reporting 1.018 for the FG. As close to spot on as I expected/hoped it would be.

Final ABV looks like it'll be 5% on the nose. I can live with that.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my original question guys.

cheers

Back