Excessive trub in lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DurtyChemist

Reaction score
I brewed my first Lambic this weekend (BIAB) and had about 2 gallons of trub in the fermentor (better bottle). I've never had this much in any other batch and I'm curious to see what people think and what the advice is. Current plan is to let it ferment w yeast for a week then add Brett.

6lbs Belgian pils
3lbs Wheat Malt
1lb flaked malt

Mash at 158-160 for 60 minutes.

I had to leave and I didn't get to boil until the next afternoon so it sat for roughly 26 hours with a lid on the keggle. When I removed the lid there was a foam with little brown flake-like stuff on the foam. It smelt bad but I boiled it and figured that would kill anything. Chilled to 80 then put into fermentor and let it chill to 65 overnight. When I looked at it this morning I couldn't believe the trub. It sucks that I potentially lost 2 gallons but I'm wondering if it's inherent with wheat malt and my mash, if it's okay to let this sit with yeast and Brett for 9 months, and any suggestions. I've never had this much with a pilsner or my Berliner Weisse batch.

I've seen this happen with very, very starchy worts. You mashed pretty high, so I would guess that is what you are seeing. The starch settles out in the bottom half of the fermenter, but once fermentation starts it will mix again. Fermenting this out shouldn't be a problem. I would worry more about the possible butyric acid that you got from the over night mash, but I know a lot of people would just treat this an off flavor that you get from a sour mash.

Okay thanks. I plan on letting it sit in the better bottle for about 9 months with the Brett and I didn't know how much of a flavor difference this would cause.

Back