Excessive particles in my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad26

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to home brewing, just started brewing my second batch today, and I had a few concerns. I am making an imperial stout, I steeped 1/2 pound of roasted barley and 1/2 pound of black patent malt for 30 minutes, didn't use a grain bag, just crushed the grains and removed the malt with a strainer (will probably use a grain bag next time). I boiled for 60 minutes 6.6 pounds of dark extract, 1 cup of dry dark malt extract, 2 oz. of northern brewery hops, and added 1 oz. of cascade hops in the last minute of the boil.

Now when I transferred the wort to my fermenter after the boil I used a strainer in my funnel. There was a thick mess of particles in the wort and it clogged up the strainer and I had to clean it out about 4 or 5 times before the entire wort was in my fermenter. Should there be so much extra stuff in the wort after I finished boiling or did I screw something up?

Also, when I took the OG, it was only 1.050, lower than what the recipe indicated it would be which was between 1.070 and 1.090. I used a cup of dry malt extract instead of a 3.3 pound can of extract (which is what the recipe called for), which I realize now was probably not enough. I didn't stir the wort well after I topped it off with water which may account for the inaccuracy in the OG measurement. Did I not use enough dry extract (which is what I am thinking) and may that account for the OG measurement being off?

Thanks in advance!

No way you could get all the small particles out with the strainer in your kettle. Use a grain bag next time.

FWIW, your beer will probably be fine.

first, i agree, the beers probalby gonna be just fine

for future info, if you wanted to use dry extract instead of the 3.3 lbs of liquid, you should have used about 2.5 lbs of dry extract, not just a cup.

topping off with water, its hard to get it all mixed well, that can account for some difference in OG, as will not using enough extract. a quick calc looks like your OG is probably running the 1.065 area based on what you posted.

first, i agree, the beers probalby gonna be just fine

for future info, if you wanted to use dry extract instead of the 3.3 lbs of liquid, you should have used about 2.5 lbs of dry extract, not just a cup.

topping off with water, its hard to get it all mixed well, that can account for some difference in OG, as will not using enough extract. a quick calc looks like your OG is probably running the 1.065 area based on what you posted.

+1. Don't worry, you have enough fermentables to brew a good beer. The reason your beer has a lower OG is exactly what you are thinking... didn't add enough malt extract.

The only thing that really happened is that you turned your Imperial Stout into a dry or american stout more or less...

I didn't realize until later I probably didn't use enough DME, I guess I just didn't think. I will remember to use more next time. Thanks a lot!

I do not know if you have or not but I will direct you attention to Death Brewers Partial Sticky at the top of this section. It was a HUGE help to me. Also, I use a colander and a fine mesh grain bag to filter the wort AFTER it is cooled. That means everything gets sanitized...

Back