Example of the 'accuracy' of using the term "skunked".

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermit

fuddle
Reaction score
Years ago when we rented a place and my wife was pregnant, we were chased out by a skunk moving in underneath the place. So, my wife knows what a skunk smells like.

With the nice weather we have left the windows open to get some air into the place. She came up from the basement and told me that she could smell skunk and I should close the windows and turn off the whole house fan to keep from drawing in anymore of the oder.

I went to the basement to check it out. Turns out that I had forgotten to clean the hops out of my bag after the last brew day and the oder was coming from that.

I find the that the easiest way to explain the smell to someone who isn't sure exactly what they are smelling is "smells like Corona".

I am very happy skunks are rare around here, as Boss 'catching' a porcupine was bad enough.

I find the that the easiest way to explain the smell to someone who isn't sure exactly what they are smelling is "smells like Corona".

I bottled a Clorona (Corona clone :D) about a month ago. Drank one and realized I missed that skunkiness. So I've been experimenting with clear, green, and brown bottles and leaving them in the sun for 15, 20, 25, and 30 minutes. So far, 20 minutes for a clear bottle makes a beer pretty damn near a Corona (at least with my recipe). Great for the hot summer months when working out in the yard and sweating my ass off!

I bottled a Clorona (Corona clone :D) about a month ago. Drank one and realized I missed that skunkiness. So I've been experimenting with clear, green, and brown bottles and leaving them in the sun for 15, 20, 25, and 30 minutes. So far, 20 minutes for a clear bottle makes a beer pretty damn near a Corona (at least with my recipe). Great for the hot summer months when working out in the yard and sweating my ass off!

Yeah, wow, it definitely doesn't take long. I was drinking a pint of my 101 DogHaus on the deck a few days ago in the nice bright spring sun. Within ten minutes I noticed it smelled and tasted skunky....quick!

Back