Everybody got this months issue of BYO...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Sudster

Reaction score
I like the article about the 10 most difficult beers to Brew. Think I'm going to go for the WEE-Heavy. Sounds fun.

You partially freeze it and discard the frozen part. This apparently ups the ABV to 10%.

<OOps this is the Eisbock that you freeze not the Wee-Heavy ..sorry guys >

I poped the cap on my first wee heavy homebrew this morning and my God! it's good.

I don't think it's all that hard to brew myself. It's just a high gravity beer that you ferment under cool conditions.

ScottT said:
I poped the cap on my first wee heavy homebrew this morning and my God! it's good.

I don't think it's all that hard to brew my self. It's just a high gravity beer that you ferment under cool conditions.

Did you go through the partial freeze part. How hard was that?

El Pistolero said:
How long have yours been in the bottle, Scott?

Only 2 weeks last Friday. I primed this one with DME and the carbonation is still a little light but the flavor is right on what I was looking for. The carbonation is very fine and the flavor malty but only slightly sweet, less so than a Belhaven Wee Heavy.

I'd read that these type heavy brews need to age out. Not this one at least. It's spot on what I was looking for flavor and body.

ScottT said:
Only 2 weeks last Friday.
Yeah, I bottled mine a week ago last Friday...I was figuring three weeks, so I guess I'm gonna have to wait another week at least. Should help out with turkey day anyway. :D

Sudster said:
You partially freeze it and discard the frozen part. This apparently ups the ABV to 10%.

Haha...that IS definitely a cheap way to distill, like sause pointed out. I won't tell you where I learned how to do that. :)

EDIT: I haven't gotten my BYO yet. :mad:
I'm about to go postal. :D Serious withdrawals!

oops, made a mistake guys. The style should be EISBOCK not Wee-Heavy. I left my Magazine at work and was going off stewed memory. Sorry if I caused some confusion. You freeze the EISBOCK to get an ABV of 10% NOT the Wee-Heavy.

The EISBOCK is difficult because it is two beers in one. A High-Gravity Lager(dopplebock) and the second, a freeze concentrated beer. When they say two beers they mean they take a lagered dopplebock and then freeze it to distill it to 10% ABV.

Back