Ever used a 32 tip burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Boss

Reaction score
Just bought a natural gas 32 tip wok burner(155,000BTUs) Havent really seen or heard of anybody using on these. Propane stuff is easier for average joes than nat. gas. Im a plumber so it was cheap and easy for me.

I've seen them around. If I recall correctly, it is a bit of overkill, and a few of the jets that point towards each other may need to be plugged to avoid hot spots and wort scorching.

I was worried that it was too much, my stand is very adjustible for the height of the burner. Hope didnt waste some money.( got a good deal )

The 23 tip is overkill for 10 gallon boils. 32 is probably overmassacre. I don't know how good of a deal you got, but the 23 tippers are $16 at various online wok/kitchen supply.

I dont have any experiance with them, but 3x btu than average turkey fryer, so should bring quicker boil. With adjustable height, and ability to plug off nozzles, should be able to dial in! I think you did well, especially at the price.

I have a 32 tip for nat gas 8" under my 55 gal kettle controlled with a ball valve. Heats the garage nicely on winter brew days.
cool0016.gif

Mine are 20 tip natural gas burners for 10 gallon boils (1/2 barrel kegs), and it is too much. If I were redoing it, I'd go with 10 to 15 tips for 10 gallons

cool link, I see they have them in propane and natural gas. I was at D-boss's house today and he had the 32 going. It didnt seem kicking as hard as we expected, but was heating the water in the keg pretty quick. Flame seemed about half blue yellow and was completely silent. I wonder if our gas pipe going to the burner is too large diameter. Mabey if we used a smaller pipe we could get more heat out of it! Might have to plug some of the burners as flames were going up side of keg at times. You run theese of regular low pressure gas right from your house?

These things are hard to fine tune for sure and the distance from the kettle is pretty critical. I ran mine too close for a while but it would always go orange and sooty. It needs to be at least 5" below the kettle.

made my frist batch with the 32 tip burner this sunday. It is fed by 17 feet of 3/8 hose, which i think helped the burner calm down a bit. also have a ball valve right by the burner, had it turned down quite a bit. the flame was orange and sooty, but it worked very well. Brought my wort ( 6.5gal) right out of the mash tun to a boil in ten min. was a little hard to fine tune, but all in all it worked pretty good. If i did it again i would probably get a 23 tip.

If the flame was orange and sooty, it didn't work very well and you were making a ton of carbon monoxide in the process. I wouldn't suggest using it like that. The velocity of the gas has to be fast enough to pull O2 into the tips. The end result is a blazing inferno.

Back