Ever regretted a "craft" beer purchase? Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were in the grocery store while on vacation and saw this
voodoo-doughnut-chocolat-22160-259z.jpg

Of course we were drawn to it, i mean Rogue makes some amazing beers.

Its not that this wasnt amazing, it was more that we didnt look at the price and it was i think $16 for the 22. Didnt even realize it until we looked at the receipt later. We did regret it. Not that great of a beer, especially for so much money.

Regret it everytime i make a purchase and dont check bottle dates...
Ive come to the point of not purchasing hoppy brews unless it was just released or has a visible BOD.
To much good beer to drink old oxidized crapola.

Ive come to the point of not purchasing hoppy brews unless it was just released or has a visible BOD.

+1. Had a few of those.

Worst one was a spice beer I think it was Maui breadfruit. Too much spice. Then a pecan porter that I could not taste the pecan, only the spices (why add hot peppery spices to pecans?)

Just happened to me for the first time last week. That is the biggest let-down ever. Had myself what I was hoping to be a nice IIPA, turned out to.be almost a year old. No hop flavor or aroma to speak of. So sad...

hadabar said:
Weird. It's great stuff. Cigar city guava grove....

Yuck! I love sours. This wasn't too sour it was too everything else...

Guava Grove isn't a sour, it's a Saison. There was an accidental sour batch a couple of years ago, if you happen to come across one of those, they are worth big $$. It's popularity lead to them making an intentional sour version this year, which hasn't been released in bottles yet. Guava Grove is one of my favorites, but everyone has different tastes.

Full Sail Imperial Porter Bourbon Barrel Aged. Overwhelming smell of bourbon, it tasted like a porter boilermaker. The bar I was at has 2-4-1 bottles before 7pm, I had to tell them to keep the other one.

Penn Pilsner. Bought a sixer for my wife nearly two years ago because she had it on tap once and flipped out about how good it was for some reason. Opened a couple bottles of hers and it was very much like way over carbonated BMC.

Why did I mention it was two years ago? I just found three remaining bottles in the beer fridge last week.

Wow, I just bought a bottle of this the other day, and now you've scared me!

Ah that was only my experience! Don't be scared. Just don't be afraid of calling out a popular beer burgeoning on the edge of a current trend (big beers, huge flavors, etc) if you don't like it.

Guava Grove isn't a sour, it's a Saison. There was an accidental sour batch a couple of years ago, if you happen to come across one of those, they are worth big $$. It's popularity lead to them making an intentional sour version this year, which hasn't been released in bottles yet. Guava Grove is one of my favorites, but everyone has different tastes.

Well aware. ...

I starting the fact that I like sours. ..and this sucked. ..whatever style it was trying to be. ..and yes it was from that batch a few years ago. ..horrible

wickman6 said:
Agreed. I usually like 2 or 3 of the varieties, but the remaining few are not good to me at all.

They always sneak in boston lager. Not that I mind the beer, but I can buy it separately much cheaper.

Man, there's a lot of Sam Adams hate here. That's my favorite brewery, but I will admit that my most disappointing craft beer purchase was Sam Adams Imperial White. Way too sweet and the alcohol flavor was overwhelming.

I saw it at the bottle shop on Friday. Didn't buy it but someone did and I got a sample that night. Woodchuck Pumpkin Spice Cider. Ick

Bought a New Holland holiday pack, and although the pack was decent, that Icabod beer was so horrible I took one sip and poured it out. Still the only craft beer I've ever donated to the sewer gods

I'm sure I'll catch crap for this one but the only craft beer I've purchased and haven't been able to finish...Pumking. I love Southern Tier beers but I couldn't finish Pumking. My buddy brewed a pumpkin beer last year and I thought it was good so I figure with how highly Pumking is talked about and the reviews on BA I'd try it...couldn't do it.

I'm sure I'll catch crap for this one but the only craft beer I've purchased and haven't been able to finish...Pumking. I love Southern Tier beers but I couldn't finish Pumking. My buddy brewed a pumpkin beer last year and I thought it was good so I figure with how highly Pumking is talked about and the reviews on BA I'd try it...couldn't do it.

:eek:

that 120 though

Tastes like crap to me..

I also don't like Dogfish. I can get fresh Dogfish at several different stores around here, and have tried many times to appreciate their 60, 90, and 120.. and I just don't like it. At all.

I'm a total hop-head, and love IPA's - but I find those repulsive. I HATE them. I know they are highly rated by many people - but I think my taste buds/DNA has conspired against me and I'm just programmed to reject those beers.

Tastes like crap to me..

I also don't like Dogfish. I can get fresh Dogfish at several different stores around here, and have tried many times to appreciate their 60, 90, and 120.. and I just don't like it. At all.

I'm a total hop-head, and love IPA's - but I find those repulsive. I HATE them. I know they are highly rated by many people - but I think my taste buds/DNA has conspired against me and I'm just programmed to reject those beers.

My sentiment exactly!!!:mug:

I haven't seen it in probably 15 years but I bough a six-pack of a beer called Bad Frog. It was truly a terrible experience. I can't say that the warning signs weren't there though, it had the word 'Bad' in the name. Come to think of it, it might have been made from actual frogs too...

Quixoticosis said:
Every beer I have ever tried by Flying Dog. I keep falling for the cool labels.

I totally agree with this. How can such creative labels belong to such blah beer. False advertising by proxy

I totally agree with this. How can such creative labels belong to such blah beer. False advertising by proxy

I'm a fan of Raging ***** though. That was my first Belgian IPA, and I really like that stuff. The rest of their beers aren't terrible, but they aren't all that great either. Just middle of the road IMO.

A bit of a tangent: way back when Moby Dick was a minnow and I was a young lad, I was hitchhiking up the coast. I got picked up by a guy who detoured through the Olympia brewery, for one of their tour and taste sessions. I wasn't too enthused, because I had always considered Olympia beer to be horse p***.

I was shocked by how good the beer tasted. And about the time the tour was supposed to end, the skies opened up and buckets of water started falling. Instead of chasing us out anyway, they cheerfully gave us lots more beer - and fed us, too. We were full, happy and pretty well snockered by the time the rain let up. Nowadays their corporate lawyers would've been tearing their hair out as we weaved down the road. :)

When I got back to SoCal, I headed out to my local supermarket and grabbed me a six-pack of Oly. And you know what? It was horse p***....

That was the first time it really occurred to me how much a beer's taste depends on its age, the temperature it's served at, how it's poured and what kind of glass it's poured into, the surroundings, the company being kept, etc.

Had a run with New Belgiums's Red Hop-tobet, hated it, never had a red I actually enjoyed

I rarely drink a "bad" beer. What I get disappointing by, however, is the $10 boutique craft bomber of beer that's just mediocre. Pisses me off more than anything.

I rarely drink a "bad" beer. What I get disappointing by, however, is the $10 boutique craft bomber of beer that's just mediocre. Pisses me off more than anything.

This.

I rarely encounter a truly bad craft beer (Millstream's Great Pumpkin Imperial Stout comes to mind). Mostly, just so-so beers that don't live up to their hype, or their expense. If I'm going to shell out >$10 for a bomber, its contents should be impressive.

Big Sky puts together some great brews, this is not one of them. To me tasted of soap, otherwise insipid and not refreshing. It was like drinking bad homebrew.

Big-Sky-Brush-Tail-Farmhouse-Saison.png

I wouldn't say I regretted it exactly.... But I did purchase a six pack of New Albion (Boston Beer Company) at the recommendation of the bottle shop clerk. Stale grains are not worth 10 bucks

Back