Ever regretted a "craft" beer purchase? Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retheisen

Reaction score
I have been trying to build up a stock of reusable bottles. I am enjoying a Blue Moon Rounder Belgian Pale when I notice the bottles are twist offs. Crap! Still enjoying the beer but that other bird avoided to stone.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest, I didn't read the label to see the style. It's not a bad beer by any means, but when I'm shelling out 8 bucks a 6-pack I generally want something more flavorful than a pilsner.

retheisen said:
I have been trying to build up a stock of reusable bottles. I am enjoying a Blue Moon Rounder Belgian Pale when I notice the bottles are twist offs. Crap! Still enjoying the beer but that other bird avoided to stone.

Filed under the heading "First world problems".

Leithoa said:
Sierra Nevada Summerfest, I didn't read the label to see the style. It's not a bad beer by any means, but when I'm shelling out 8 bucks a 6-pack I generally want something more flavorful than a pilsner.

Through sheer coincidence I ended up getting appendicitis and having to have an appendectomy the day after drinking several Sierra Nevada Kellerweis bottles and now I cannot even think of drinking another one.

A few years ago I bought some out of date bottles of Stone Ruination from a liquor store that I used to live by. Did not know that they were spoiled until I cracked one of them open. Now I'm way more careful buying beer from liquor stores that look like they don't move craft beer quickly. On the bright side went back and picked up a few 2 year old Stone Imperial Russian Stout bottles. Those came out quite nice.

Through sheer coincidence I ended up getting appendicitis and having to have an appendectomy the day after drinking several Sierra Nevada Kellerweis bottles and now I cannot even think of drinking another one.

Weird. It's great stuff. Cigar city guava grove....

Yuck! I love sours. This wasn't too sour it was too everything else...

Mostly fruit beers. They always sound interesting and usually are good for a drink or two, but I seldom want a whole bottle, let alone a 6-pack

New Belgium Rampant was the biggest regret I ever had. I bought a 6 pack, but I couldn't even finish the first bottle. The earthy, oniony hops just didn't sit well with me. I gave the other 5 away..

Only one. Avery's "The Beast." (Aged in the store 2 years, 15% abv, an impressive looking beer) Looking it up at the liquor store on my phone, it had great reviews on BA. I love Belgian style ales, it was a no brainer.

Drank it, well, tried to drink it, the following day. Harsh solvent-like alcohols (from stressing the yeast too much or high temps or whatever), an almost artificial date flavor that was way too strong (from adding dates to the beer, I know what they were trying to replicate, that subtle date flavor in some Belgians...they failed.) I ended up pouring out 90% of it; BA reviews were just bandwagon posts, posers!

Biggest, and probably only, regret of craft beer I've experienced.

Only one. Avery's "The Beast." (Aged in the store 2 years, 15% abv, an impressive looking beer) Looking it up at the liquor store on my phone, it had great reviews on BA. I love Belgian style ales, it was a no brainer.

Drank it, well, tried to drink it, the following day. Harsh solvent-like alcohols (from stressing the yeast too much or high temps or whatever), an almost artificial date flavor that was way too strong (from adding dates to the beer, I know what they were trying to replicate, that subtle date flavor in some Belgians...they failed.) I ended up pouring out 90% of it; BA reviews were just bandwagon posts, posers!

Biggest, and probably only, regret of craft beer I've experienced.

Wow, I just bought a bottle of this the other day, and now you've scared me!

My palate surpassed Sam Adams about 1.5 years ago. I never looked back.

A coworker and I were just discussing that today. I'm right there with you, but I still for some reason grab a mixed 12er from time to time. And generally regret it.

A coworker and I were just discussing that today. I'm right there with you, but I still for some reason grab a mixed 12er from time to time. And generally regret it.

There's only one Sam Adams beer I still kind of like, and that's the Stony Brook Red.

Well, it was not me who purchased it but Tequiza. My pops bought a 6 on a whim and i got first taste. Disgusting. So pretty much anything that calls itself a "malt beverage"

Oh wait, you said craft beer. I would say practically anything in a variety pack. For some reason when I buy one the beers all are underwhelming and old tasting. Most often they seem lightstruck or otherwise skunky and old tasting.

Picked up a couple of different flavors of a "Kombucha" beer. Raspberry and Ginger. One of my kid's teachers was looking for them at the store and I was curious.

Split one with the wife and we each had a taste. Then several more tastes just to confirm how nasty they were! It was like worrying your loose tooth. Hurt a little, but you just couldn't stop doing it!

I think we tasted the ginger. The raspberry is still sitting on the shelf. And yes, they were labeled as "Beer".

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and HiCü by Magic Hat.
Normally I like Magic Hat but that HiCü was horrible and Summer Shandy tasted like absolute ****. If Molsen XXX is a craft beer than that is #1. I couldn't even finish 1/2 a bottle and dumped the $9 6-pack in the sink. I don't know why I thought that would taste good.

New Belgium Coconut Curry - What were they thinking?:cross:

Not so much a craft-beer, but I paid almost $5 for a bottle of Weinstephaner Dunkel so my wife could try the style before I brewed a batch. Not good at all. Very unrepresentative of what I experienced in Germany, but unfortunately, no one sells the Wurzburger Julius Echter Dunkelweizen locally anymore.

My batch turned out much better than the swill I bought and was very reminiscent of my misspent youth.

Sam Adams Triple Bock. Could not choke it down and then I couldn't get the smell out of the air after I dumped it.

I'll read about a beer, then start stalking it in the liquor store's. I finally get a 22oz'er for only $18. Like a kid on Christmas morning, I open my new beer and it taste exactly like my home brew stout, that I have 2 kegs of.

Stauffbier said:
New Belgium Rampant was the biggest regret I ever had. I bought a 6 pack, but I couldn't even finish the first bottle. The earthy, oniony hops just didn't sit well with me. I gave the other 5 away..

This stuff is horrible! I hope you gave them to enemies.

Seems most places around here these days have the mixed six pack...so you've only wasted a purchase on one beer...not six. This year I dumped two pumpkin beers after 1 sip, but I went in with the uderstanding that I might not like them...and only bought 1 each. The only time I really regret a purchase is when I have to buy crap beer for relatives at get togethers and nobody drinks it...end up using it for the brat and burger kettle.

Bought a couple sixers of Furthermore: Knotstock (infused with cracked pepper) and Oscura (coffee lager). I was hoping for subtlety, but unfortunately, the Knotstock's flavor was completely dominated by the pepper. It was as if someone emptied a peppermill into a pale ale (which I couldn't tell was a pale ale due to all the pepper).
The Oscura tasted like yesterday's leftover coffee, mixed with some beer.

Their creed for additions must be "if a little's good, more is better."

I agree, I was really Disappointed in that one. Another one is Schlafly's hefeweizen. It tasted like a normal wheat beet but bland. No fruity esters at all!

Next time anyone buys Rampant IPA and doesn't like it, ship it to me. One of my favorites.

I agree that Sam Adams just gets worse as I get older. I bought a case of some of their IPA's at Costco. I think it was called "Hopology". They were all gross. Someone from Sam's needs to come out to the west coast and see what a real IPA tastes like.

The worst craft beer was one SWMBO bought. Leinenkugel's Imperial IPA. I think they used 100% crystal malts. It tastes like a bottle of fermented caramel. Absolutely disgusting.

Tokyo Imperial Stout from Brewdog, it was an instant drainpour beer, first time I've ever done it and it cost me 18 Euros, which is about $22-23

Horrible perfumed crap is the simple reason.

Sam Adams sucks. Back in the mid-nineties, I used to drink quite a bit of Boston Lager, and often is was fresh and tasted great. Every time I try one these days, they are old and taste like crap. Octoberfest is pretty good though - I buy maybe 1 sixpack a year of that - but otherwise I steer clear of them.

They aren't the brewery I used to support and respect - now they're just pumping out all sorts of crap. There's so many good beers to choose from, so there's no need to waste money on them.

Celis Grand Cru. That was disgusting and also any flavored stout, like blueberry or whatever. Siick

Tokyo Imperial Stout from Brewdog, it was an instant drainpour beer, first time I've ever done it and it cost me 18 Euros, which is about $22-23

Horrible perfumed crap is the simple reason.

Yes!! Amazingly I paid way less than that in California, but I also dumped it immediately. Cloyingly sweet cough syrup mixed with grain alcohol.

Back