Ever have a brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamLucko

Reaction score
That started with a gravity around 1.059 after 1 week it was 1.025 then raised to 1.042?

IF so, could you please tell me why? lol. I got no idea..

I would love to know!

Later taters!

sorry for the title... cant edit it? I feel dumb

Higher hydrometer reading was most likely because your sample size was to small. Hydrometer wasn't floating.
Later alligator!

You can always check the hydrometer by putting in room temperature water. It should read near to 1.000.

Somehow getting stratification in your fermenter is the only thing I can think of. (I have never heard of it happening) other than an error in the reading.

Take another reading.

How it happened: your first two reading were with a hydrometer. The third was with a refractometer.

What do I win? :)

Cheers,

Oh, so Adamlucko, flars, frazier, and beergolf are goofballs offering scam riddles and no value?

Oh, so Adamlucko, flars, frazier, and beergolf are goofballs offering scam riddles and no value?

Waiting for a response from OP. Rising SG is not possible after fermentation has begun. Question about using a refractometer is valid. I often overlook this question because it is basic knowledge when you have the time to peruse the forum every day.

Nope - using different instruments for gravity reading is over the top. You lose. A reading is observed.

1. you were drinking heavily during one of the measurements

or

2. there was a piece of poop stuck to your hydrometer.

those are the only two explanations.

Nope - using different instruments for gravity reading is over the top. You lose. A reading is observed.
OK, I should have been more expansive. Refractometers are not accurate for FG readings - or any reading where alcohol is present. So a reading may be observed, but misinterpreted. That was my point. There are online calculators available for converting the readings, but simpler is to use a hydrometer.

To the OP - try again with a hydrometer.

I used a refractometer. I actually didn't know about the difference between the 2.. I don't use a hydrometer cuz I keep dropping the ****ers.. Too expensive..lol Is there a specific reason to not use one for FG? You guys gave me a good laugh as well! thanks!

I have never used a refractometer, just read an article in BYO about calibration. I say this with very limited knowledge.
For a refractometer to be accurate it needs to be calibrated using the color of the beer currently being measured. This may be for an accurate SG, but not being calibrated this way, may not affect finding a stable reading which would indicate FG. Using a conversion tool, the refractometer may indicate SG is stable at 1.016. Using a hydrometer the stable SG may actually be 1.011.
I won't mind if anyone says I'm totally wrong.

Unsolicited advice on using a hydrometer.
Never pick it up, from the horizontal, by that thin neck. Only hold it by the neck if movement is vertical.
Never shake Starsan foam off. Don't need the Starsan anyway because the hydrometer can't be read accurately inside a carboy or bucket, and you drink the sample not return it.
Never lay it down on a table or counter top. Both these surfaces always tilt towards the edge. Rolling hydrometers accelerate rapidly. Place it in a margarine container or plastic cup that won't tip.
Always have a spare because stuff still happens, especially with a cat around.
(I still have the hydrometer I purchased in 1987.)

Is there a specific reason to not use one for FG?
The refractometer is calibrated based on the way a sugar solution will change the refractive index of the water. Alcohol has a different index, so its presence in the solution throws off the reading. So it is accurate at the start; once there is alcohol, it needs correction.

Here is a calculator which should help.

Back