Ever get snags lifting the grain bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texwake

Reaction score
Title says it all. I'm considering going BIAB however I was wondering if your thermometer or anything snags the bag?

I did until I ditched the threaded thermometer. I use a temp probe now.

If you have a long spoon, you can put that in to shield the temp probe while you lift the bag out.

Or you could get a stainless mesh basket.....

I have nothing in my BIAB kettle that would snag a bag. BTW, I am one of the few who truly dislike BIAB. But, I have not made a rig that really handles the hot, wet, sticky, heavy, messy bag of spent grain.

tHANKS ALL

If you use a pulley system to remove your grain bag, I retrieve slowly while shielding the probe against the bag with the back of my mash paddle or spoon as hezagenius pointed out. I did, however, order a D shaped mesh basket from Arbor Fab to address this very issue.

BTW, I am one of the few who truly dislike BIAB. But, I have not made a rig that really handles the hot, wet, sticky, heavy, messy bag of spent grain.

I respect and appreciate your opinion, I do. I also strongly feel that if you are experiencing difficulty with a "hot, wet, sticky, heavy, messy bag of spent grain" that you are doing it all wrong.

I have done 15 gallon BIAB with 35lb grain bills and experienced none of the problems you insist on repeating over and over on almost every BIAB thread.

To me, this is like someone saying they have a strong dislike for soup, as they always spill it on their lap. I guess some do better with sandwiches :mug:

Back on topic...while it is very easy to push the bag away from the kettle and avoid the probe, surprisingly some people often make mistakes and forget. Typically i get an email from someone that starts something like this, "I did a really dumb thing during my last brew session...

I respect and appreciate your opinion, I do. I also strongly feel that if you are experiencing difficulty with a "hot, wet, sticky, heavy, messy bag of spent grain" that you are doing it all wrong.

I have done 15 gallon BIAB with 35lb grain bills and experienced none of the problems you insist on repeating over and over on almost every BIAB thread.

To me, this is like someone saying they have a strong dislike for soup, as they always spill it on their lap. I guess some do better with sandwiches :mug:

Back on topic...while it is very easy to push the bag away from the kettle and avoid the probe, surprisingly some people often make mistakes and forget. Typically i get an email from someone that starts something like this, "I did a really dumb thing during my last brew session...

Haha. I'm looking into a Tri-clamp to where the probe sits back more. I love the idea of BIAB, less equipment I have to store and I can do all grain.

Haha. I'm looking into a Tri-clamp to where the probe sits back more. I love the idea of BIAB, less equipment I have to store and I can do all grain.

Ok I assume the temp probe will be for automation. Lots of folks prefer a hand held to a kettle mount as it can easily be moved around the mash to check for hot and cold spots. A Tri-clamp where the probe sits back more. sounds like a solution, but it really isn't a problem unless user error or inexperience crops up. Probe in the front, bag comes out the back of the kettle. Also best practice in my opinion to gather and raise the bag to the top of the kettle by hand so you gain a feel for how buoyant it is and if it is free-floating. Bad practice to just connect the hoist and start yanking the bag out of the pot, much better nice and easy....slow and steady as she goes....

Guilty of being a doofus and forgetting about probe and ratcheting the bag up with a pulley. It's time to do away with that style of thermo.

I have a blichman boilermaker that came with a bung and a temp gage. Never bother installing it. Once time the baq got stuck under the dip tube. I went to Walmart and got a petal style stainless steel streamer. Pulled out the feet on the bottom. I put that over the dip tube before I start heating the strike water. Haven't had an issue since.

I just completed my first ever BIAB with 34.5lb of grain and had none of these problems either.

My only problem with the bag is I made a rookie mistake on too much water around where I have the recirc port and some grain spilled out of the bag. Other than that everything worked as I expected it to after downsizing from a 3 vessel setup to one kettle.

I was worried about snagging on the thermometer as well, but just slowly inched the bag up and kept checking to make sure I wasn't going to snag, once I got past the thermometer it was plain sailing!

Never snagged the bag! Well, not brewing anyway. :)

haha

hqdefault.jpg

I had my temp probe rip my bag in a brew, so I bought the keggle version of the Brew Bag. It's pretty spendy bit doesn't catch on anything. I would r recommend this.

Last edited:
Happened to me one time, then I learned to spin the bag while raising slowly.
Always remember, never forget. There's a difference.
Happy brewing

I used to slip a small piece of hi temp hose over my temp probe which worked great to prevent snagging, but when I went to the Brew Commander it has a blunt tipped temp probe, which is great for BIAB.

Back