Ever broke the neck off a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you pulled the neck off your carboy with a clamp on handle?

• No I have never had the neck break on my carboy

• Yes I have had the neck break off

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bitterbrush

Reaction score
Have you personally ever had the neck break off a carboy using one of those handles that clamps around a carboy neck?

I'm not talking about breaking it because of impact or dropping. Just carrying it full with the handle and having it break the neck. I have never had the neck break off, but I'm curious if anyone has.
small_carboy_handle.jpg

There's a thread somewhere on here of random, non-dropping related carboy failures, with a fair amount of blood and gore, IIRC. After dropping and breaking a glass carboy, I just use Better Bottles now.

I have one of those, and used it a few times.
When I heard that the neck could break I stopped using it.
Now I carry the carboy in a milk crate.

Those handles strike me as an accident waiting to happen. The design seems like it would put a lot of sideways torque on the neck and that scares me. I use the nylon webbing "brew hauler" harness and love it!

That's some awful thick glass and really not that much weight. I have always used that type of handle and never had a problem.

I've heard of it happening so I never move it by a neck handle. It is either in a milk crate or a brew-hauler type harness (I bought one, then made 3 more myself)

The ads that I've seen for those stated that they are only supposed to be used with empty carboys. That's why I never bought one.

Well no one has said that they have actually pulled the neck off a carboy. Even so it's just really bothering me moving full carboys around with the neck handles.

So I bought 4 Brew Haulers today. No more worries!

brew-hauler.jpg

I think the key piece of information is that most of those neck handles do advertise that they are meant for hauling empty carboys, which is kind of stupid because an empty carboy is not a difficult thing to carry. I just got my carboy and plan on moving it around in a milk crate when it's full.

I have both a brew hauler and the neck handles -- a wet empty carboy is slippery --- especially after dumping out oxyclean water and rinsing.

Latest posts

Back