Even ketchup can ferment and cause bottle bombs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
Link to the full story:
Hundreds of Exploding Fake Heinz Ketchup Bottles Discovered in New Jersey

ht_counterfeit_ketchup_ll_121018_wg.jpg

"Dover Public Safety Director Richard Rosell told the Star-Ledger newspaper in New Jersey that the ketchup's sugars, mixed with acid from tomatoes and vinegar, had fermented in the heat and exploded. Tenants noticed the mess and officials and Heinz were eventually contacted."

:D

Nothin about yeast in there? Interesting.

I was gonna say that wild yeast was introduced when they transferred the ketchup from one bottle to another but it doesn't seem like they did that.

Does that mean that this was Heinz's fault?

I was gonna say that wild yeast was introduced when they transferred the ketchup from one bottle to another but it doesn't seem like they did that.

Does that mean that this was Heinz's fault?

The article uses the ambiguous term 'repackaging'. So it's not clear what exactly happened. I think it's safe to assume that Heinz would understand their own product enough to not have this occur, so I would bet the counterfitters did expose the ketchup to a wild yeast during the process.

My bet is Zygosaccharomyces; that type of yeast can tolerate rather extreme conditions that will kill of other spoilage organisms.

Back