Evaluating my process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlssox524

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have my first IPA (pretty simply 5.4%) carbing in my kegerator and have a question about conditioning. Due to scheduling/time difficulties, I had to follow this timeline:
-primary (8 days)
-rack to keg and dry hop in a mesh bag (6 days)
-put the keg in kegerator (1 day)
-attach CO2 and carb (going on right now)

My question is: did going to the fridge/putting it on CO2 so soon mean that the beer didn't get a chance to condition? Will it condition while in the fridge and under pressure? I wanted to get it in the fridge (~44 degrees) to avoid developing any grassy flavors but now I'm concerned that it will take a really long time to condition at these temps

Any thoughts or advice?

IMO you kegged to soon. Fermentation was probably still going on while you kegged it. I would have kept it untouched in primary for at least 2 weeks then dryhop in secondary for a week then keg/carb.

I wouldnt be surprised if your fg is higher and your beer is sweeter then you wanted. Just my opinion but GL. Hope it comes out good for ya.

i've kegged some beers at this approximate schedule and they've been fine. as long as you reached your target final gravity before you took your beer off the yeast cake you should be ok. the beer will continue to condition (albeit at a slower rate) while refrigerated/pressurized so you can leave it in the keg for a few weeks if you're really concerned about off-flavors or you're brewing for a contest. otherwise, keep calm and brew on.

I agree as long as you reach FG. I find it hard to think that 5 days after you brew you would be taking a gravity reading, skipping the next day then taking another reading 7 days after brewing to confirm FG.

I still get airlock activity a week and a half after brew day. I usually have a vigorous first day then a good 2-4 days then taylors off and stops at about the 2 week mark. Thats when I first check FG then recheck in 2 days.

Whatever works I guess, I just think thats to soon.

Back