European malt houses compared

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude1

Reaction score
I watched a couple of videos featuring Mikkeller who keeps insisting on the quality of the ingredients he relies on.

Problem: he doesn't reveal much about this.

I just wanted to ask European brewers on this forum if they would recommend a specific malt house when it comes to the best possible base malts or if the most obvious choices (Weyermann, Best Malz, Castle) are also the best ones.

Thanks

I think major factor affecting malt quality is not the maltster's brand name but the quality of barley (and wheat). This depends on the conditions during growth and especially harvest season and depends where the growers are located. All the major malt houses are probably able to buy good quality grain when it is available from their contract grower and they also have the know-how to malt it properly. Slight differences in flavor and color may exist but even these may arise partly because the grains are grown in different places. So more important than the brand is choosing the right product for the beer style (and using correct amounts of it). If something seems to be wrong it would be easier and cheaper for a homebrewer to switch between brands (growing conditions) than for a commercial brewery such as Mikkeller that probably buys huge amounts at a time. And pay attention to how you store the grains and especially don't store crushed grains. You can experiment with different maltsters and see what your personal taste buds prefer. I like the idea that the grain and malt is produced and malted in the same region where the beer style originates. So for British beer I would use British grains malted by British maltsters (Simpsons, Fawcett, Crisp, Warminster, Bairds, Muntons etc.) and for Belgians I would use a Belgian maltster (Dingemans, Castle Malting, Swaen) and so on. Germans maybe Weyermann, Best Malz, Avangard etc. At the same time I need to say that I know many people who do not follow this rule and they brew great beers using local malts only. For example, here in Finland people brew many styles using Viking malts that are available, affordable and the grains are grown in relatively unpolluted northern soils. The results can be great. And if you experiment and try to create something new you are obviously not restricted by the geographical origins of the malt.

Last edited:
I have very good experience with english maltsters, such as Crisp, Fawcett and Warminster, Weyermann is something I use all the time, as I have the possibility to order it locally, Dingeman's is very good, Castle Malting ( Chateau ) is also good.

I have only tried a couplew malts from The Swaen, but they seem very nice.

Some people use belgian malts to brew belgian beers, german malts for german beers, etc.

But in most cases, they differences are pretty insignificant.

I will however say that Munich and Vienna malts are best purchased from Weyermann, at least this was my experience, as the same malts from Crisp are different, meaning everything from colour to the final flavour. Crisp Munich is much darker, hence it does not take much to darken the beer.

I think major factor affecting malt quality is not the maltster's brand name but the quality of barley (and wheat). This depends on the conditions during growth and especially harvest season and depends where the growers are located. All the major malt houses are probably able to buy good quality grain when it is available from their contract grower and they also have the know-how to malt it properly. Slight differences in flavor and color may exist but even these may arise partly because the grains are grown in different places. So more important than the brand is choosing the right product for the beer style (and using correct amounts of it). If something seems to be wrong it would be easier and cheaper for a homebrewer to switch between brands (growing conditions) than for a commercial brewery such as Mikkeller that probably buys huge amounts at a time. And pay attention to how you store the grains and especially don't store crushed grains. You can experiment with different maltsters and see what your personal taste buds prefer. I like the idea that the grain and malt is produced and malted in the same region where the beer style originates. So for British beer I would use British grains malted by British maltsters (Simpsons, Fawcett, Crisp, Warminster, Bairds, Muntons etc.) and for Belgians I would use a Belgian maltster (Dingemans, Castle Malting, Swaen) and so on. Germans maybe Weyermann, Best Malz, Avangard etc. At the same time I need to say that I know many people who do not follow this rule and they brew great beers using local malts only. For example, here in Finland people brew many styles using Viking malts that are available, affordable and the grains are grown in relatively unpolluted northern soils. The results can be great. And if you experiment and try to create something new you are obviously not restricted by the geographical origins of the malt.

Viking Malts are going to be available in the USA is the very near future at a very favorable price. Can you give me a comparison to other European and North American maltsters?

Viking Malts are going to be available in the USA is the very near future at a very favorable price. Can you give me a comparison to other European and North American maltsters?

Unfortunately, I have started brewing beer just recently and haven't tried Viking malts yet so I haven't been able to do side by side comparison with British malts (I have used Crisp and Fawcett so far). But I will definitely try these products soon.

Viking malt is a traditional Finnish-Swedish maltster that has recently grown significantly by buying Danish malting group from Carlsberg (they are now fifth largest malthouse in Europe and they focus especially on special malts). DMG owned a lot of malting capacity in the towns of Spierc and Strzegom in Poland where they have been malting since 1900th century and Poland is where Viking has invested heavily. In addition to Poland, Finland, Denmark and Sweden they do malting in Lithuania.

Most Finnish commercial breweries (as well as home brewers) use Viking malts for many beer styles and I haven't heard anyone complaining about their products. So it is possible to brew great beer with these grains, for sure. There could be minor differences between the maltsters but I would encourage you to try these malts if it become available at an affordable price.

Last edited:
I’m working at the Swaen and indeed all the malting companies can source the best possible barley. Having said that some malting companies are isolated and can only use the available crop In their region. Others like the Belgium malt companies can source from all over The EU as they are so centrally located. This year c18/19 the north of Europe had a very bad crop whereas France had a fantastic crop. Probably like in the US the Montana crop is not the same as in Idaho. Always ask your malt company about the local crop and the quality in that particular year. Good luck brewing great beers

I use Weyermann for all my beers as well as Dingemans Special B. I only brew Trappist inspired ales.

Weyermann has, by far, the most well developed and detailed malt analysis out there. That alone makes them worthwhile.

Back