Euro Beer travels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoFetus

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm headed to a few places this July from the 14th to the 24th and have been googling around the net trying to find beer festivals and pubs to hit while I'm there. I'm looking for suggestions on pubs to hit up or breweries to tour.

I'll be in

Hamburg, Germany
Amsterdam, Holland
Brussels, Belgium
Copenhagen, Denmark
Helsingborg, Sweeden

Thanks!

Been to Germany, didn't have anything I didn't like! Prague was still my favorite beer stop though!
~Rusty

In Hamburg your looking for the reaperbahn (spelling???) thats where all the good pubs are. There is a really cool model railway which I think is one of the largest in the world. (Sounds geeky but it's not) There's like 700 trains with over 10000 carriages, 1000s of people and something like a half million lights... Highly recommended...

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Amsterdam is a great place for pubs too. Be sure to go on the Heineken brewery tour. I missed it cause the people I was traveling with were ahem less into the beer than I was...

Make it easy on yourself...any pub in any of those cities will be a success!! :mug:

Fair enough. :mug:

I haven't found much in Germany either. The area with the model train, a site said that it has a lot of restaurants, wasn't sure about the pubs. Good to know. The Heiniken brewery is open again so that is a place on my list.

Some of the places I've already listed are: Cafe Gollem (thanks!), Bier Circus, Cantilion (I think I spelled that correctly), Carlsberg brewery.

Keep the ideas comin! :rockin:

Hello everyone, the first post from a long time reader of this excellent forum.

I honestly doubt that you will find a decent pub in Helsingborg. If you want to drink good swedish beer you need to go to Gothenburg or Stockholm.

In Gothenburg you have The Rover free house. They specialize in microbrews from all over the world but focus mainly on swedish and american micros. (This is my favorite pub, The food, staff and clientele is second to none.)
If you come to Gothenburg i'd be glad to be your guide. (Drop me a PM)
http://www.therover.se/

And in Stockholm you have monks cafe. http://www.monkscafe.se/

Hello everyone, the first post from a long time reader of this excellent forum.

I honestly doubt that you will find a decent pub in Helsingborg. If you want to drink good swedish beer you need to go to Gothenburg or Stockholm.

In Gothenburg you have The Rover free house. They specialize in microbrews from all over the world but focus mainly on swedish and american micros. (This is my favorite pub, The food, staff and clientele is second to none.)
If you come to Gothenburg i'd be glad to be your guide. (Drop me a PM)
http://www.therover.se/

And in Stockholm you have monks cafe. http://www.monkscafe.se/

Thanks for the offer, but SWMBO said thats a good two hours away and we're only there for the day.

Thanks for the tips! Should be a hell of a trip. Bier Circus is also on the list of places to hit, and I'm going to try to hit up some lambic breweries.

Hamburg, Germany
Amsterdam, Holland
Brussels, Belgium
Copenhagen, Denmark
Helsingborg, Sweeden

Thanks!

reeperbahn is the hot place for going out in hamburg and it's the red light district. which may help or hinder. i wasn't wild about the beer up there, though, the jever tasted like it was filtered through dirty gravel.

amsterdam has loads of places to get good belgian beer - cafe belgium behind the niewkirk was really good. also - there are these gin places there, wyland focking near dam square was ace, gin and a beer, just the job.

copenhagen is decent enough for going out, but key thing is to get a carlsberg brewery tour in. the tour itself is a bit depressing as it's all done by robots these days but the tasting is nice! get on a table with a few kids and non-drinking women - there's a limit on the number of bottles on each table and who wants to share?

other places i never went to but brussels has got to have some beers on the go. sweden - just expect to pay and arm and a leg for any pint you get!

I spent about a week in Belgium in April, only one day/night in Brussels though. Bier Circus has a good selection of beers including Westvleteren (they had 6, 8 and 12 in stock when I was there).

You can also take a brewery tour of Cantillon.

Just back from a Europe trip. In Amsterdam, check out In de Wildeman - over 200 bottled beers and 17 on tap. In Brussels, Delirium Cafe is a must visit. Guinness record holder for the most beers available - over 2,000! 25 on tap.

From Brussels, you can make a day trip to Bruges and visit the De Halve Maan brewery (fun) and also make a train stop in Gent to visit Brouwerij Huyghe, home of the famous Delirium Tremens - world beer champion in 1998.

Just back from a Europe trip. In Amsterdam, check out In de Wildeman - over 200 bottled beers and 17 on tap. In Brussels, Delirium Cafe is a must visit. Guinness record holder for the most beers available - over 2,000! 25 on tap.

From Brussels, you can make a day trip to Bruges and visit the De Halve Maan brewery (fun) and also make a train stop in Gent to visit Brouwerij Huyghe, home of the famous Delirium Tremens - world beer champion in 1998.

Nice, I'll check out the places mentioned outside of Brussels. I'm hoping they have public trans out that way. In de wildeman looks badass. Thanks!

Alright kids, I'm off for my tour. Super stoked and have a lot of places that I intend on seeing...drinking...:tank: Thanks for all the suggestions, I have them on my list! :rockin:

The trip was awesome. Had some amazing beers. I lost a day in Brussels due to food poisoning and ended up missing out on some good stuff, but Amsterdam had some amazing breweries and pubs. Thanks for all the suggestions. Cafe Gollem rocked! We hit up some amazing microbrews in Copenhagen. I highly recommend a little place called Brewpub. They had some really great beers on tap. I'm working on getting pics into photobucket.

Next time, if you can make it to Cologne, it's definitely a must-do stop - well worth going out of your way for. It has one of Europe's most unique beer cultures and is a magnificent city. Try the Frueh and Muehlen pubs there.
And, if you are so inclined, Düsseldorf with its Alt beers is just downriver.

Try to make it during the Karneval season, and it's like being on another planet - imagine a million people in costumes parading through the city, singing and drinking Koelsch and Appelkorn. Blows Oktoberfest out of the water.

Next time, if you can make it to Cologne, it's definitely a must-do stop - well worth going out of your way for. It has one of Europe's most unique beer cultures and is a magnificent city. Try the Frueh and Muehlen pubs there.
And, if you are so inclined, Düsseldorf with its Alt beers is just downriver.

Try to make it during the Karneval season, and it's like being on another planet - imagine a million people in costumes parading through the city, singing and drinking Koelsch and Appelkorn. Blows Oktoberfest out of the water.

I really wanted to visit these places too. Sadly, time didn't permit that.

Here's the first set of pics from Copenhagen!
http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r8/DiscoFetus/Copenhagen/

Let me know if it doesn't work.:mug:

I know i should not say this, but when i was in Amsterdam i found a beautiful irish pub. Filled with classic irish ballad lyrics, cats, and very friendly staff. Their was a soccer game on as well. Quite the pub, dont remember the name, it was near the Marriot that is all i remember.

Back