Ethnic markets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJTomatoguy

Reaction score
Does anyone here frequent an ethnic market?
I found a vietnamese grocery with a HUGE selection of
everything. Live fish/seafood. Never frozen chicken/beef/pork.
All parts of the animal.
Rabbit
Quail.
Duck.
All kinds of seafood, including dried!!
The hot food section has a roaster cabinet, in it today
was half a pig, ducks, quail, rabbit. All hanging, and all easily
identifiable.

There will be some new recipes at my house. :rockin:
Definitely getting rabbit next weekend, also want to try
duck or quail eggs.

I wouldn't be able to cook large portions of the foods I make without various ethnic markets. I just wish the town I lived in had some decent ones so I wouldn't have to stock up like a crazy person when I get to Dallas/Austin.

I wouldn't be able to cook large portions of the foods I make without various ethnic markets. I just wish the town I lived in had some decent ones so I wouldn't have to stock up like a crazy person when I get to Dallas/Austin.
I though BBQ was an ethnic food in TX..."redneck's" ethnic, right? :drunk:

(I paid rent in TX a long time ago...;))

The larger Asain markets usually have good supplies of boiling kettles, strainers, wok burners, etc. at very good prices. Revvy's right about the sugars too. Hispanic markets generally have a good supply of herbs, spices, and sugars as well. I can usually go to one of the Hispanic markets in Salt Lake City and get about twenty to twenty five pounds of various meats (both marinated and unmarinated) for thirty bucks. When we BBQ in summer we ALWAYS get the chicken, beef, and pork at the Mexican market. You can't beat the price and it is always freshly butchered.

The larger Asain markets usually have good supplies of boiling kettles, strainers, wok burners, etc. at very good prices. Revvy's right about the sugars too. Hispanic markets generally have a good supply of herbs, spices, and sugars as well. I can usually go to one of the Hispanic markets in Salt Lake City and get about twenty to twenty five pounds of various meats (both marinated and unmarinated) for thirty bucks. When we BBQ in summer we ALWAYS get the chicken, beef, and pork at the Mexican market. You can't beat the price and it is always freshly butchered.

Gotta agree with you there. I frequent a carniceria near me, and because I speak semi-fluent Spanish, I can talk directly with the butchers without them having to get one of the girls up front to translate. I ALWAYS get good deals from there !
Living in /near Chicago, I can find just about any ethnic market that I want, and quite often do !
As a kid, I used to frequent a German market/deli with my Grandmother every Saturday. In those days, EVERY one that went in there spoke German. That's where I learned about good, German beer, too. :mug:

Gotta agree with you there. I frequent a carniceria near me, and because I speak semi-fluent Spanish, I can talk directly with the butchers without them having to get one of the girls up front to translate. I ALWAYS get good deals from there !
Living in /near Chicago, I can find just about any ethnic market that I want, and quite often do !
As a kid, I used to frequent a German market/deli with my Grandmother every Saturday. In those days, EVERY one that went in there spoke German. That's where I learned about good, German beer, too. :mug:
I speak ghetto spanish and it's enough to get by at the carniceria. Most of the butchers don't speak any better...

I frequent three ethnic markets back home; an amazing polish meat market that has the best kielbasa starowiejska and homemade mustards, a small mexican bodega that has a large selection of dried and fresh chilies, and a vietnamese/chinese market that sells things that most Americans would never eat, including stinky tofu and eels. :)

In my neighborhood, I have Viet, Mexican, Persian, Chinese and German ethnic stores. I do the majority ( 95%) of my shopping with these business owners.

Screw the supermarkets.

Just off RT 295 and Rt 70? I've been to that one, its nice but out of my way to go there much.

I LOVE going to the asian grocery store or the Mexican market. I usually go there for deals on produce (usually not the freshest but if you're using it soon, it's hard to beat), and to get exciting snacks. Around here, most of the asian markets have less than fresh seafood and meats in general.

Is that the Asian grocery just across King's Highway in East Cherry Hill, towards Haddonfield?

I'm not sure about that..

It use to be PHO, the vietnamese restaurant in pennsauken. That place was
a dump. Did a plumbing job there. They ripped it all down, and the girl at the
register told me it is the restaurant, grocery store, nail shop, and another business are all owned by the same family now. It looks way better than it did years ago.

http://translate.google.com/transla...=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=7pS&sa=G

I'm not sure about that..

It use to be PHO, the vietnamese restaurant in pennsauken. That place was
a dump. Did a plumbing job there. They ripped it all down, and the girl at the
register told me it is the restaurant, grocery store, nail shop, and another business are all owned by the same family now. It looks way better than it did years ago.

Ah, I know that place- obviously not the place that I was thinking of, either. There are a couple of small markets that I remember near you in Maple Shade, the one I was talking about on 70 & Kings Highway and then one on Church Road between Waverly and Fellowship, just past the the 295 overpass as you're heading toward 73S.

Now if you want some great Polish food, head into Port Richmond off Tilton and hit up Czerw's. We pick up kielbasy there for Easter every year. I think I'm related to the brothers somehow....I have a great aunt who lives right on Allegheny.

Update:
The veggies held up wall so far. The stuff I was buying at the other place was getting soft and not holding up well after 3 or 4 days . This place has pretty good stuff. I will go back.

I found Smithfield Hams at a viet Grocery 2 blocks from my house.
it was a WTF moment for me.

Result: Smithfield ham for Easter. cheaper than the crap canned ham you will buy at the supermarket.
found some Saporro Black as well.....

muhAAAHHHHHAAAAAha.

When I lived in Sunnyvale, CA the local grocery store folded and some Vietnamese family bought it. Absolutely fantastic! Dozens of kinds of fish and they would even clean and deep fry it for free. Had to love watching people wander around looking for the Wonder bread. Nothing like that here.

Back