Etching inside of aluminum brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven

Reaction score
So I have an aluminum turkey frier that was given to me, it is probably 7-8 gallons. I know aluminum has to have its oxide layer to be usable, and I'm not asking about whether I should use it or not.
My question is, can I etch (with a dremel grinder) gallon and half gallon marks in the pot? will it ruin it or will I just have to build up another oxide layer before using? OR is there another alternative to etching graduations?

Not sure about etching the pot itself, but you could always notch your stirring spoon/paddle/etc... Put half a gallon in the pot, lower your spoon (probably handle first) into the pot and then mark the spoon. Put another half gallon in, mark again. Etc, etc... That way, you're not messing with the thickness of your pot any either.

You can do it and build another oxide layer. BUT a Dremel will cut through that pot like a hot knife through butter. You can just score the marks with any metal that is harder than Al (which would be just about anything).

-SB

Notching the spoon isn't a bad idea. But I will probably mark the pot because if I need to use a different pot the markings will be different.
I will probably use a nail to scratch the surface, re oxidize, and the use. Thanks for the help!

You can do it and build another oxide layer. BUT a Dremel will cut through that pot like a hot knife through butter. You can just score the marks with any metal that is harder than Al (which would be just about anything).

-SB

Agreed that the dremel has the ability to rip right through those aluminum pots with just a small slip. I think the idea of making the graduations is a good one though. If you do use a dremel just be careful and don't go using a cutting disc or something. The oxidization will come back after your first brew. If you'd rather, bring a pot of water to a boil in it and the layer will be right back on there. GL.

I wasn't planning on using a cutting disk, just a little stone grinder. Im not sure if thats what its called...

Back