Etching gallons in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg83

Reaction score
Hello home brewers! I came across a great article on how to etch gallon markers into a kettle using salt, vinegar and a 9v battery. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.make-digital.com/make/volume_40/m/Page.action?folio=87

It's just not working for me on my aluminum kettle. I followed the direction to the T. I tested it on the side of my keg and it works but nothing happens when I touch the aluminum with the cotton swab. It says it works on aluminum. I striped a wire from a old power cable for a router I had laying around. Could the wire not be generating enough current?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks.

I'm not completely sure, but I'll throw an idea out there. Aluminum oxidizes very quickly, forming a layer of aluminum oxide that covers the pot. It could be that the aluminum oxide layer is acting as an insulator against the current, so you might want to try sanding the area where you are applying the current just before you etch.

Post back if you have any success.

John

I thought the same thing so i tried it on the top of the lid that has no oxidation and it still didn't work. Thanks for your input though.

You can't actually see the aluminum oxide, but it's still there covering the entire pot and lid. You can remove it (temporarily) by lightly sanding or chemically, but it'll form again pretty quickly.

Or maybe this isn't the problem at all! Good luck.

Latest posts

Back