Esters overpowering (going bananas)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zman3382

Reaction score
Brewed an amarillo pale ale back on September 19, and opened the first bottle a few days ago. The ester flavor (banana) is overpowering the hop flavor big time. I used Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale, and a total of 1/2 oz columbus, and 2 total oz Amarillo (its the kit from midwest supplies). It fermented a bit warm despite my best efforts, around 74 F. I realize that warmer fermentation temps can produce esters. Im just wondering if fermenting that warm can cause such a hugely overpowering ester flavor / aroma? Ha, it kind of has a belgian taste to it at present. Thanks for any advice. -Z

:ban: < ---- took over me beer !!

NOTE - this beer was also likely "under aerated"

Warm temperatures will do that. If you are seeing 74 degrees on the outside it is a few degrees warmer in the middle. Time will make it a little better. If you like belgian beers, just think of it in those terms and enjoy!!

Yes, stressed yeast and/or high temperature fermentation will definitely cause some esters. It might fade a bit with time, but probably not go away.

I know that Northwest ale yeast can go up to 72 degrees (maybe higher), and still remain clean-tasting, though. I wonder if there was a combination there of underpitching (if you didn't make a starter), underaerating, and the high temperature to give you a triple whammy of ester causing issues.

yup. that was my 2nd batch ever, and the last that was sans aeration (beyond dumping into the fermentor from height), and the last that was done without a yeast starter. sounds like the triple team effect. thank you for the replies... i knew that was the likely possibility, just was in disbelief at how banana like it is!

Back