Essence causing astringency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
I have 6.5 gallons of Watermelon Kolsch going in secondary ATM. I put it in secondary on Jan. 28th. I took a hydrometer sample at that time and it was 1.009, and tasted awesome out of primary. When I racked to secondary, I did it on top of 1.5 oz per carboy (3.25 gallons each - total of 3 oz. in 6.5 gallons) of L. D. Carlson Brewer's Best Watermelon Flavor. The web site says to use 4 oz. in 5 gallons.

At this point, the beer doesn't have a bad flavor - although it's still more watermelon-forward than I want - but there is a pretty harsh astringency on the finish. I have 9 more gallons of the kolsch on stand-by in primary to temper the watermelon batch if necessary, but I don't want to use what is so far a great batch of Kolsch to try and temper the watermelon if that isn't going to help the astringency.

Will that astringency fade? I have 30 days to bottling. If I'm going to temper the watermelon, I need to do it soon.

Latest posts

Back