ESP8266 based temperature (and more) controller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Daniel. This is my first post here, but I wanted to show the temperature controller I've build.

No surprise, it's based upon the Wemos D1 with an ESP8266 on it:
components.jpg

The cool thing though is the 'Tripler Base'. All the equivalent pins of each footprint are connected (so all D1 pins are connected, all D2's, all GND's, ...) and even better, the bottom three rows all have GND, 3v3 and 5v. (The picture shows 2 D1's and an additional single base)

With this base I did not need any custom PCB. I did put the power shield and the D1 on the left side of the base, one relay in the middle and one relay on the right. I elevated the relays a bit and used the 5v and GND strips of the middle part to connect 3 DS18x20 temperature sensors, with a 4k7 resistor from +5v to D5. The only somewhat nasty thing was soldering bridges from D5 to the next holes for the data lines of the temperature sensors.

built.jpg

I then added 1 switch, 2 power supplies (1 for the D1, 1 for the heating) and 2 pieces of 24 Watts 24V heating foil, some wood, a din rail and a fridge of course:

combined.jpg

The right most cable has been replaced by now with something that is more suitable for handling the ~1.8A needed for the heating. At the time of the picture I was still waiting for the third temperature sensor with thermowell to arrive.

I'm using the Micropython firmware for the D1 and so far I've programmed it to:

- Read the 3 temperature sensors
- Control the heating / fridge using a PID loop with some extra baby sitting
- Listen for updates from my iSpindel
- Listen for status/settings requests through a webserver
- Update Brewfather trough a custom stream every 15 minutes using a combination of all gathered data.

I'm really happy the iSpindel part works. Previously I had to put an access point on top of the stainless steel fermenter to receive data, but now with the controller acts as the access point and it picks up the iSpindel perfectly through the fridge and the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back