ESB Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alsbrews

Reaction score
Hello. Wanted some input on an ESB recipe my wife and I attempted. ESB is one of my favorite beers. Trying to strike that magical balance of malt and hops. Here is our recipe of our first attempt. We do partial mash brewing.

-6lbs lme
-1lb Maris Otter
-0.5lb British Crystal 60L
-0.25lb Carapils

-1.5oz Goiding Hops @ 60min
-1oz Crystal, 0.5oz Golding @ 45min.

-WLP005

Was fermented in carboy for 17 days, conditioned in bottle at room temperature for 7 days, in fridge for 3 days.

I know the hops are mild but they fail to come through at all really. The body is lacking that nice sweet malt associated with an ESB and there is a sour bitter on the back. Any feedback anyone has would be much appreciated. Would LOVE to have an ESB in my recipe repertoire. Thanks and cheers!

Move the 45 min hops to 15 mins. That will reduce bitterness and give a little hop flavor to balance it out. Not sure what that will reduce the IBUs to since I'm on my mobile, but you can fine tune the bittering addition to hit the same IBUs if you need to.

Back