ESB Quest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
My first ESB was Foster's, now called Premium Ale. I love that bready taste!

Being that they are considered a subpar brewery I've been looking for ESB's with a similar biscuity, slightly nutty taste. I've had Fuller's and Speckled Hen which were very good, and Full Sail's pale, which seems very ESB-like to me.

But the majority of the ones I've tried were very ho hum, and one, from a co-op brew pub in Austin, was the most overly bitter beer I've ever had. SWMBO and I had to take turns sipping on it as we hate just wasting beer.

So with the 3 beers mentioned what else should I keep an eye out for?

I brewed the Common Room ESB recipe in the recipes section last Spring. It's got the right "breadiness," but somehow ended up a bit too much hop-forward, even though I know I followed the instructions. You might try that one, if you're looking for an ESB to brew.

Adnams, Conniston Bluebird, and Fuller's all make great bitters--IF they're reasonably fresh. Don't shy from ordinary or best bitters if you like the malt character. Delicious!

I do generally shy away from less than extra specials as I prefer a non light beer as I usually tend to drink rather slowly and do enjoy a little buzz.

I will have to check out the Common Room ESB! I have a recipe worked out to what I think I'd like, but I'm certainly looking to modify it if necessary, especially since I've never brewed one, and don't know exactly what to expect.

I always considered Old Speckled Hen to be more of an English pale ale than an ESB, although that's probably just a debate of semantics. I've only had it from the bottle, but I can't get into it. It has some kind of weird metallic flavor I don't enjoy.

Fuller's usually gets my pick. I also tried Well's Bombardier at a pub last week, and it was decent.

I also stick with Fullers for my commercial esb. I haven't had the best luck in my homebrews replicating English flavor in esb's. Probably tried 4 or 5 times. The best English beers I have home brewed have been mild ales. Specifically orfy's mild from this site is the best English homebrew I've made. And I've made a lot of English beers.

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale. Despite being billed as an IPA, it’s more of an English style Strong Bitter.

Fullers is a good one and I know I may get hit for this but I actually enjoy Redhooks ESB as well.

I like Goose Island's Honkers Ale ESB. I have a recipe/batch bottle conditioning right now.
The grain bill is really simple
Crystal 40 0.5 lb
Special Roast 0.5 lb
M.O./ Two row 7.5 lb
The special Roast gives that bready-ness
Fuggles (U.K.) 0.750 oz 60 minutes
Goldings (U.S.) 0.50 oz 20 minutes
This ale has an O.G. 1.052, an F.G. 1.011
The ABV is about 5.0%

I don't remember where I got this recipe from, but it does make a nice balanced ESB.

I think timothy landlord is my favorate, if that counts as an esb and not english pale ale. Really I think they are the same. I tried to make Lakefronts organic esb but that ended up infected and not good. Ive made some really good ones since then based on midwest and northern brewers esb kits.

Also Goose Island 25th anniversery esb may be my favorate,and Samuel Smiths Old brewery pale ale is great. Oh yeah, and cant forget Oasis from Tallgrass which is a double esb/ipa style and on my top ten all time favorate beers.

The best one I ever MADE was AHS SupercalifuggleisticESBaleidocious. I'll see if I can dig up my last version of it when I get home.

I have to take back what I said about Red Hook being ho hum.

On another forum I was told that an ESB ought to be consumed at 55*, and I have been pulling them from the fridge and popping tops, which is ~45* IIRC.

Having meant to pull a beer and let it sit for about 10 mins but forgetting, I dropped it in my pocket do to my impatience, and though a bit hasty it had ore flavor than I had noticed before. Still a little more subdued than I'd like, but far from ho hum.

I am currently enjoying an ESB recipe I threw together. It's definitely very English. Per Beersmith it's at 35 IBUs. However, I used Northern Brewer and Willamette so it doesn't have that citrus punch. Here's the recipe. Any sugguestions or critiques are appreciated.

ESB - All grain 5 gal
ABV - 4.9
OG - 1.053
FG - 1.016
IBU - 35.1
Color - 11 SRM

8 lbs Maris Otter
12 oz Biscuit
12 oz Crystal 60
8 oz Aromatic
8 oz Cara-Pils
8 oz Victory

1 oz Northern Brewer (whole leaf) for 60 min
.75 oz Willamette (whole leaf) for 15 min
.5 oz Willamette (whole leaf) for 5 min

Whitbread 1099 harvested from previous brown ale.

If I remember correctly I fermented at 62 deg. Let it sit in primary for about a month then bottled. Definitely better a little warmer.

Is the crystal a British crystal or American? I'm told there's a big difference.

What is the biscuit you are using?

Why not use a European late addition hop?

Why do you ferment so cold? Does it help subdue flavors? I've generally shot to keep it between 64-66* with 68* being the high side it sometimes will hit when I'm not watchful.

I think that if you can find Batemans XXXB you would like it better than Fullers and Red Hook. I certainly enjoy it more because it has a much cleaner flavor in my opinion. I would describe it as smooth with fruity notes from the yeast and caramel finish. I haven't found an Special Bitter I like more.

Is the crystal a British crystal or American? I'm told there's a big difference.

What is the biscuit you are using?

Why not use a European late addition hop?

Why do you ferment so cold? Does it help subdue flavors? I've generally shot to keep it between 64-66* with 68* being the high side it sometimes will hit when I'm not watchful.

Honestly, I'm not sure which biscuit or crystal was used. I'll have to find that out next time I go to the LHBS. Although not officially a european hop, I figured the Willamette would work well as it is supposed to be earthy and herbal. I recently brewed a brown ale with EKG and I wanted to try something different.

Edit: Regarding the fermentation temps, now that you mention it, I may have fermented around 64 deg. I tend to ferment a little cooler to steer clear of too many esters.

I use this recipe, and it is probably the most crushable beer I make:

11.5lbs Maris Otter
12oz English Medium Crystal (50-60L) (or American C60)
4oz C120

Mash at 150F for 1 hour.

75 minute boil

25 IBU Target @ 60
4.5IBU Fuggles @ 20
1.5 IBU Fuggles @ 10
1 IBU Fuggles @ 5
2 IBU Target @ 5

London ESB yeast (1968 w/starter)

Ferment at 65 for a week, finish at 72, then cold crash for three days. If kegging, use gelatin to clear. Comes out beautiful amber with a great malty backbone and just enough English hoppiness to keep it interesting.

Cheers!

Forgot the analytical targets for the above recipe:

OG: 1.057
FG: 1.015-ish (will have to definitely warm it up to attenuate to here with 1968.)
IBU: 33
SRM: 12.4

Also, an addition of 5% Carapils would be nice for some head retention.

Anywho, move along, nothing to see here...

My brew pot is 5 gals and handles 4 gals.

I've been doing larger BIAB partials lately and use Briess Golden Light LME to make up the remainder of my beer. But were I to water down my ESB that I used Marris Otter and British crystal malt to make it more authentic I'm afraid using Briess will likely bring it down a notch.

I see from MoreBeer I could get a Munich LME, but 50% Munich and 50% pilsen would seem to take it far away from what I want.

I see they also offer some Muntons LME, but I'm not familiar with them. Extra light and light Jerry.

So now it has me considering doing another mini mash in a ~5 qt stock pot and using just MO to keep it going in the right direction. But I'm afraid that won't be enough to make up the difference.

Any ideas, or am I concerned over nothing?

Back