Erious Problem!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutine Bullfrog

Bullfrog Brewers
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need a ton more equipment to keep up with the new hobby. I just don't have enough stuff to brew all the beer I want to brew. Need 4 more Carboys and at least 2 more buckets along with the miscellaneous fermentation equipment. Then, after that I have to get all that All-grain equipment. No one warned me
fing20.gif

Is this a common problem with Home Brew?

Sorry for the typo in the header. Serious Beer Problem, not Erious.

... speaking as the guy who's thinking about heading to Depot to buy a fridge tonight to be his kegerator, who dropped $500 to have his basement wired in large part to have a kegerator and lagering fridge in the basement, who is now scouring ebay for corny kegs, scouting out prices on forward-sealing faucets, who had purchased propane tanks and propane burners, who just spend another $50 on tools last night to finish building his grain mill, who has to reconfigure his immersion chiller so it's a little less "ghetto," who has recently spent money at McMaster on parts to build a hopstopper, and who is thinking about picking up a Better Bottle in the next week or so....

No, it doesn't stop... :D

the_bird said:
... speaking as the guy who's thinking about heading to Depot to buy a fridge tonight to be his kegerator, who dropped $500 to have his basement wired in large part to have a kegerator and lagering fridge in the basement, who is now scouring ebay for corny kegs, scouting out prices on forward-sealing faucets, who had purchased propane tanks and propane burners, who just spend another $50 on tools last night to finish building his grain mill, who has to reconfigure his immersion chiller so it's a little less "ghetto," who has recently spent money at McMaster on parts to build a hopstopper, and who is thinking about picking up a Better Bottle in the next week or so....

No, it doesn't stop... :D

LOL. Nice.
trink40.gif

I thought I was content with my brewing system after I stepped up from 5 gallon buckets to 6.5 gallon Better Bottles, then made a stir plate, bought a wort chiller, modified my kegerator, built a 21 gallon stainless conical fermenter, brew stand, grain mill, heat exchanger, modified my kettles, built a mash tun, and temperature controlled brew closet.

Now I think I need to build a computer controlled steam injection system after reading some posts here.

It doesn't stop.

Some insight from dictionary.reference.com

How many of us are still sane enough to recognize the sickness? :D

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
ob·ses·sion (əb-sěsh'ən, ŏb-) Pronunciation Key
n.
Compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety.
A compulsive, often unreasonable idea or emotion.

WordNet - Cite This Source obsession
noun
1. an irrational motive for performing trivial or repetitive actions against your will [syn: compulsion]
2. an unhealthy and compulsive preoccupation with something or someone

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source
Main Entry: ob·ses·sion
Pronunciation: äb-'sesh-&n, &b-
Function: noun
: a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling; also : something that causes such preoccupation —compare COMPULSION, PHOBIA —

Mutine Bullfrog said:
I need a ton more equipment to keep up with the new hobby. I just don't have enough stuff to brew all the beer I want to brew. Need 4 more Carboys and at least 2 more buckets along with the miscellaneous fermentation equipment. Then, after that I have to get all that All-grain equipment.

Hold on a second. How much beer are you actually drinking??? :confused: You should be able to brew A CRAP load of beer with one primary, two secondaries, and minimal amounts of equipment. That setup there can easily pump out 5 gallons A WEEK. Thats like 8 beers a day!!

Also, No one said you HAD to go all grain... in fact I find that extract kits make EXCELLENT beer! With AG, Ingredient costs are lower, but you have at least double the brew time invested in each batch, more equipment needed, and more running costs as far as gas and water goes. IMHO, enjoy your beer and dont try to keep up with the jones's. :mug: Not everyone needs (or wants) a $3,500 beer sculpture...

sirsloop said:
Hold on a second. How much beer are you actually drinking??? :confused: You should be able to brew A CRAP load of beer with one primary, two secondaries, and minimal amounts of equipment. That setup there can easily pump out 5 gallons A WEEK. Thats like 8 beers a day!!

Also, No one said you HAD to go all grain... in fact I find that extract kits make EXCELLENT beer! With AG, Ingredient costs are lower, but you have at least double the brew time invested in each batch, more equipment needed, and more running costs as far as gas and water goes. IMHO, enjoy your beer and dont try to keep up with the jones's. :mug: Not everyone needs (or wants) a $3,500 beer sculpture...

If you want total control over your beer and you want to make beer with an SRM of 2 then you want to go all grain.

I didn't want a $3,500 sculpture so I built my own for about $1,000 and when it's finished it will be 10X better then anything you can buy. The problem is, it will never be finished because I just can't leave well enough alone....

Thats true, but for the majority of the people I think they can brew extract kits and end up with beer ANYONE will rave about. Obviously if you want exact control over your beer, then AG is the way to go. Selecting some steeping grains and adjuncts for a extract beer yields great results. I'd put my money into a keg setup before an all grain setup...

Back