Equiptment buying advice..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michgan241

Reaction score
So I am a new brewer and i have pretty limited equiptment. I've got the NB 89$ kit with an extra ferm bucket and a better bottle 6.5. I'm really enjoying the brewing so far but I dont have nearly enough bottles stocked up and I'm already wanting to plan out more brews.

I've decided to allot 20-30$ a month to brewing gear and I was wondering in what order would you guys suggest i build?

Things I'd like to get are 30qt aluminum kettle, Ferm chamber with air conditioner, Mash Tun, Kegging set up, collection of bottles( i dont have nearly enough atm)

Is there bottle recycling in your area??? If so, you may be able to get a good supply of bottles for dirt cheap, wash them with PBW and sanitize for next to nothing in cost.

Your next purchase should be a big pot. You mentioned a mash tun so I assume AG is on your mind. If so, look at getting a 10g+ pot. It will serve you fine for extract doing full boil.

If you don't have a wort chiller that should come before a pot. Don't buy one build it and save money!

After pot would be a mash tun. I recommend a 10g on that as well. However if you can do BIAB as well if you get a big pot. Look at the 44qt Bayou Classic SS with the steamer insert.

michgan241 said:
So I am a new brewer and i have pretty limited equiptment. I've got the NB 89$ kit with an extra ferm bucket and a better bottle 6.5. I'm really enjoying the brewing so far but I dont have nearly enough bottles stocked up and I'm already wanting to plan out more brews.

I've decided to allot 20-30$ a month to brewing gear and I was wondering in what order would you guys suggest i build?

Things I'd like to get are 30qt aluminum kettle, Ferm chamber with air conditioner, Mash Tun, Kegging set up, collection of bottles( i dont have nearly enough atm)

30 quart is too small for doing full boils on 5 gallon batches. I have a 32 quart and regret not doing 40...I am always fighting boilovers. I would go big on the pot, play with BIAB for all grain and save cash (with good efficiency too), and look at kegs if you have room to chill and serve.

I would also look at buying a few extra fermenters to build your pipeline. The 6.5 gallon pails are reasonably priced and will allow you to brew more frequently. (it sucks being a homebrewer who never has finished beer available...forces you to rush your batches and sacrifice quality)

This is all assuming you have a propane burner. Most kitchen stoves cant handle a full boil.

Is there bottle recycling in your area??? If so, you may be able to get a good supply of bottles for dirt cheap, wash them with PBW and sanitize for next to nothing in cost.

I know theres a general recycling center dont know how separated it is. I'll call on monday to see.

30 quart is too small for doing full boils on 5 gallon batches. I have a 32 quart and regret not doing 40...I am always fighting boilovers. I would go big on the pot, play with BIAB for all grain and save cash (with good efficiency too), and look at kegs if you have room to chill and serve.

I would also look at buying a few extra fermenters to build your pipeline. The 6.5 gallon pails are reasonably priced and will allow you to brew more frequently. (it sucks being a homebrewer who never has finished beer available...forces you to rush your batches and sacrifice quality)

This is all assuming you have a propane burner. Most kitchen stoves cant handle a full boil.

I knew a buddy had an additive that helped with boilovers pretty well with that I wouldnt be able to go with a 7.5 gal kettle for a 5g boil? He was going to give me an old turkey fryer to use so burner wise i should be good.

I'm so far just an extract brewer but i'm really enjoying the process so far and I'm anxious to build up my equiptment. What about a fermentation chamber? I saw an AC unit for 20$ on craigslist today..

If you can get a cheap fermentation chamber, I'd go for it. However, I'd put more importance on getting the proper size pot and extra fermenters. You can always use a swamp cooler to control fermentation temp relatively cheaply.

Fermcap S is supposed to stop boilovers and I have some on order. I have not tried it yet. My advice on going to the larger pot was so that you could play with Boil In a Bag instead of buying extra AG equipment. Check out that thread for minimum pot size requirements. Not sure if a 7.5 gallon pot could handle a 12 pound grain bill.

Good luck. Equipment can get out of control quickly, so planning your purchases in advance is a smart move.

If you're in Michigan, just go to your local bottle shop that sells craft beer. Most of them will let you take returned bottles for the cost of deposit.

Latest posts

Back