Equipment - will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landyman

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at getting a decent still set up after using a pressure cooker for a while, I just wondered what people thought about this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/162450002054

s-l400.jpg

I'm looking to make something using bananas next and could get this pretty soon.

Thanks

I don't actually have any experience distilling, but from the research I have done, I don't see why not.
I would build my own though, if you are able, as it was pointed out to me on this forum that if you buy a still the merchant is required to report it to the government.. And whether or not you have anything to worry about, I prefer the government not know my name.

I've read reviews on Amazon for stills similar if not the exact one in the picture. One of the comments say it turned up positive for lead.

Looks like a cheap still!

Head over to homedistiller.org and look at some of the builds.

If the ttb request the info, the supplier must turn over your personal information and I for one wouldn't want that.

Looks like a cheap still!

Head over to homedistiller.org and look at some of the builds.

If the ttb request the info, the supplier must turn over your personal information and I for one wouldn't want that.

If we turn every thread into the same thread discussing legality, you might as well shut the whole forum down for it... there is a thread for legality, this is not it....

If we turn every thread into the same thread discussing legality, you might as well shut the whole forum down for it... there is a thread for legality, this is not it....

I fail to see any mention of legalities in the post you quoted. General record keeping of manufactured stills in the US has no bearing on legality of owning a still, but is beneficial to be aware of prior to a purchase.

Post indicated that it appears to be a cheap still, I concur. Quality can be built on your own and said post directed to a better source for DIY.

I’ve seen these for sale on Wish, I’ve been curious what the second pot is for?

My first thought was maybe a thumper, but the designs I’ve seen for those has always had the in and out both going in through the to so the base can hold a volume of liquid, while this has the in going straight in through the base.

My second thought was wondering if you could add herbs and spices to the second pot for the steam to pick up the flavors and oils before condensing?

I’ve seen these for sale on Wish, I’ve been curious what the second pot is for?

My first thought was maybe a thumper, but the designs I’ve seen for those has always had the in and out both going in through the to so the base can hold a volume of liquid, while this has the in going straight in through the base.

My second thought was wondering if you could add herbs and spices to the second pot for the steam to pick up the flavors and oils before condensing?

the entrance just needs to be below the liquid line, here it goes into the side below the liquid line, if it goes into the top, it has to have a tube that dips down below the liquid line.. in either case, if you put a semi-free-floating copper or stainless bowl/cap/thingy above where the vapor enters the water, it will "thump" ever time a bubble goes through, and that is where it gets its name...

Yes, you can charge the thumper with herbs and spices, but you might easily be wasting your money and time, as the parts that you want may come out the same time as heads and tails... best to not insert herbs and spices until you have a 100% perfect spirit.. and then you don't really need the doubler/thumper.... charging with some corn is a different story, that will send through plenty of flavor in the hearts...

friend buy one of these ..1st thing he change is cooler ,,,
then later he kick that middle thing
so he make 2/3 of it to propper use
better buy one of these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113256788226
work great ,for oils to make perfumes or distill water or stuff like that ;)
and these dont go to be sancioned by any gov
my girl love to make wierd pefumes from grases or plants
in that thing
i love distill water for beer ,it's faster then ro

Back