Equipment storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebrews

Reaction score
So, I have a decent amount of brewing equipment. it's all currently stored in my garage. My brew kettle is cleaned after every use and put up on a shelf. My bottling vessel, and carboys are cleaned and likewise put in the garage. The Small stuff is ie; hydrometer, chiller, siphon etc, are all in the bottling vessel and put in a cardboard box and put in the garage.

I've done it that way since day one (5 years ago). I've never had a problem. I always wash by hand, then dishwasher, then sanitize everything. I've never had a contaminated beer.

However, this last brew session i pulled down my kettle, and retrieved my plastic funnel. It had about 5-7 mildew spots. I hand washed, used the automatic washer, hand washed again, then sanitized it...all twice. Then i proceed to brew my beer and pitch yeast. I did use the funnel, as i think it was well cleaned enough to use.

All that being said, i think i need to upgrade my storage practices. Any ideas? Do you think that funnel was OK to use? I'm all paranoid about it.

Thanks,

Micah.

Do you make sure to disassemble your ball valve and bottling spigots and clean them thoroughly after each brew? You won't believe the gunk that can build up there!

Mildew happens when things stay wet for a long time. I do basically what you described, but I don't enclose anything until it's all dry. Maybe throw in a silica pack to absorb any moisture that accumulates.

silica pack! that's a great idea.

I usually disassemble the valve and clean it, then re attach it. We'll see how this batch comes out. lol

Latest posts

Back