American IPA Equinox Brewing Space Ghost IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srob18

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
American Ale 1056
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Golden Yellow
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Bottle 14-21 Days
Tasting Notes
Dry with Citrus Aroma and a Finish with a strong hop bite
This was one of my favorite IPAs in Fort Collins CO. The picture attached shows the ingredients not the exact schedule the beer was made. I'll list them anyways and show how i brewed my take on it. You can do all grain, partial or LME if you want. Won't be a exact clone, but will more then likely be a damn good beer based on the brewery and the ingredients...

LME
3Lb LME Light(for Extract or Partial Boils)

Grain Bill
2.5 carafoam
2.5 carapils
2.5 Pale Ale
2 Pilsen

Hop Schedule:

Boil
1oz Amarillo at 60 Min
1 oz Columbus at 40
1 oz Simcoe at 20 min

Flame Out
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Columbus

Dry Hop
1oz Amarillo
1oz Columbus

Yeast:
wyeast 1056( 1 pack)

Carbonate:
2.38 Ounces

photo (11).jpg

Took off nicely when i pitched the yeast, 5 oz of hops made the wort a little off colored, but eventually after about a week in the primary it cleared up really nice. Will post more pics later.

photo 1.jpg

b 2.jpg

The important questions are how you will get it in tallboys and whether it will make you feel like a cowboy.

On a more serious note, can you give units on your grain bill?

Corcis,

LME
3Lb LME Light(for Extract or Partial Boils)

Grain Bill
2.5 Lb carafoam
2.5 Lb carapils
2.5 LB Pale Ale
2 Lb Pilsen

If you do all grain i'd probably recommend 3Lb of pale for the light LME. I probably should have put this in bombers since its ABV ended up being higher then i thought!

Other Notes:

I bottled the beer a week ago. It smells great and the sample i tasted had me very hopeful this one will be a truly great IPA, just like the beer i remembered having at Equinox.

Gravity Notes:
Original Gravity: 1.069
Final Gravity: 1.012(instead of 1.018)

My final gravity ended up lower then expected, so the beer now is a whopping 7.7% ABV. i will update in a week with the first taste test of the beer and a picture of the brew.

So the recipe you have is this an all grain recipe or partial? If this is a partial did you just steep your grains and for how long?

If this all grain what steps did you follow?

I really like this beer as well and would love to be able to make it at home.

I have only done partial and have never done an all grain.

Thanks for the advice.

Derek

So the recipe you have is this an all grain recipe or partial? If this is a partial did you just steep your grains and for how long?

If this all grain what steps did you follow?

I really like this beer as well and would love to be able to make it at home.

I have only done partial and have never done an all grain.

Thanks for the advice.

Derek

Mine is a Partial Brew. However all grain is an easy fix, just get rid of LME and make it heavier on the Pilsen and Pale malts. Steep the grains in the recipe as you usually would(recommend 75min steep). Hope that helps. This IPA turned out great. keep me informed when you brew this.

I have. It turned out good. I think I may have to use more lme and less grain. I think the hops is spot on. I just need more body in the beer if that makes sense?

I have. It turned out good. I think I may have to use more lme and less grain. I think the hops is spot on. I just need more body in the beer if that makes sense?

It's funny you say that about the body, i think that would be the 1 critic i had of mine(lacking of overall body), the beer just seemed a bit on the dry side. And i thought the hops were spot on too.

Next time i brew it i might just go with straight LME and then carapils and Carahell.

Sounds good. I might try something similar. This might work well for all grain but I just don't have the extra equipment yet. I will probably brew this one soon with a tweaked version.

What temperature are you mashing at? That might make a difference.

I think around 151. I know for IPAs you typically mash at a lower temp, would mashing higher give it more of the body 'm looking for?

Back