Equinox and Exp 6277

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QC_Brew

Reaction score
Anyone brewed with these hops lately? Just picked up 4oz of each. Ive got about 3 lbs of hops in my freezer that I'm gonna try and clear out with a big IPA. I wanted to use equinox and EXP 6277 somewhere in there just not sure where.

Thanks!

Yes, I just brewed a single hop IPA with equinox. Love that hop!
Grapefruity citrus, a little tropical fruit, a little bit of spice.
I've got Denny's Rye Smile IPA fermenting right now using Mt Hood and Equinox.
Next up an IPA with warrior, equinox and galaxy

Have both on their way. Borrowed some Equinox from a buddy in the meantime. Dry hopped my golden sour with citra, equinox and mosaic. Equinox is interesting. Sort of a ripe fruit spicy tomato bell pepper thing going on in the pellets. Heard good things about it in beer. Recently heard it described as green bell pepper and Meyer lemon/lemongrass.

I've read that it gave a green pepper-esque flavor which I don't know how I feel about when going for a dry west coast IPA. I was thinking some 2 row, Munich, carapils, and corn sugar to dry it out. Columbus for bittering and equinox and 6277 10 minutes and down to a whirlpool for 45 minutes or so. Glad people are having success brewing with equinox. First time I heard of it was on a brewery tour of lagunitas I'm looking forward to brewing with it.

Did you ever brew the exp 6277?

never got around to it. Just brewed a pale a few weeks ago but I still have 4 oz in my freezer I plan on using soon. If its similar to amarillo sounds like it'd be great in an IPA or pale might have to try it out.

Go to YouTube and search 2015 hop experiment. A bunch of brewers made single hop ipas with equinox, Dr. Rudi, el Dorado, lemon drop, azacca, caliente, nuggetzilla and a few more in drawing a blank on. They then mailed eachother the beers and did reviews. Great stuff

I did brew with both hops recently. Two west coast ipas, same recipe, hopped with 11 oz/5 G each of Equinox and Exp 6277. I have both on tap right now fully carbonated. I like Exp 6277 better. I like it a lot, actually.
It's bright sweet lemon at first, with a nice fresh grass component. It reminds me of amarillo and a little bit of centennial, but just brighter, more pungent and fruitier. Equinox is definitely more boring. Peppery, a little piney, hints of herbs, like rosemary, a nice hop, but it doesn't stand out for me. I also blended them together when pouring myself a pint, and that was awesome beer!

Update:

Equinox have this green, raw vegetable (think raw zucchini, celery), fresh herbs component that would work well with other hops like mosaic or simcoe.

Exp 6277 are definitely NEW unique hops, but don't like them that much at the end. Intense, peppery, grassy, lemony, some liquorice in there. Here is the thing: I hate liquorice. (Cilandro even more, but that doesn't matter) so these hops are not for me but they are really powerful and would work well with juicer hops like Galaxy or Citra.

Back