Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I go to the cabin for a week and the Wild land Suter and Parise. Friggin Sweet! Was surprised Parise took $12M less than Philly offered and Suter took a few M less than someone else. Apparently they really wanted to play on the same team. This will really change the Wild's landscape for the next 8-10 years. Letting some guys go and trading a few others freed up some cap space. Nice job Chuck Fletcher!

Jason Garrison (watched him play college) went to Vancouver for $4.6M. Happy for him.

solbes said:
Wow, I go to the cabin for a week and the Wild land Suter and Parise. Friggin Sweet! Was surprised Parise took $12M less than Philly offered and Suter took a few M less than someone else. Apparently they really wanted to play on the same team. This will really change the Wild's landscape for the next 8-10 years. Letting some guys go and trading a few others freed up some cap space. Nice job Chuck Fletcher!

Jason Garrison (watched him play college) went to Vancouver for $4.6M. Happy for him.

Those contracts are a joke. Massive overpayment.

I don't think so, but the next few years will tell. 20 teams submitted offers for Parise. They each make very little in the last couple of years when they will no longer be playing. Best case, this team makes the playoffs next year and pushes deeper in 2-3 years. At a minimum it will sell a ton of jerseys and put butts back in the seats. Its been a tough few years here lately. Hometown kid everyone's been talking about for a year has returned.

Those contracts are a joke. Massive overpayment.

+1. Good luck finding any money to help those guys out down the road. On the plus side, there is every expectation that adding them will get the Wild into the playoffs.

On the downside, I think the Wings will have to play them several times a season now...

Those signings will help them get to the playoffs, but they're not Cup contenders overnight because they added one forward and one defenseman. Parise was the most coveted free agent forward, but he's not a total game changer. He's only been over a point per game twice in his career. He drops from 0.82 points per game in the regular season to 0.70 in the playoffs.

I like the guy, and he's a solid American player, but he's not the difference between a non-playoff team and hoisting the Cup. He was tied at 22nd in the league with Patrick Sharp, who played 8 games fewer and 1:30 less per game last year and only 2 points ahead of Scott Hartnell. If you want to talk about the players or style around him...Matt Moulson played a full two minutes per game less, with the Islanders, and scored the same number of points. To put that in perspective, both players played the full 82 games. 2 minutes of ice time over 82 games is 164 minutes. That 164 minutes, at Parise's average ice time equates to over 7.5 games of ice time that Parise got more than Moulson. Using the same math, Parise had nearly 15 games worth of his ice time over what Sharp got on the ice to put up the same amount of points. Sharp's cap hit in '12-'13 will be $5.9 mil. Moulson's - approx $3.1 mil while Parise is over $7.5 mil.

That's a way too much money to drop on a guy that's only broken the 80 point plateau twice in 7 years.

Same goes with what Columbus wants for Rick Nash. The guy wasn't in the top 50 in scoring and has only cracked 70 points once in 9 years and is a -71 for his career. I know that's a goofy stat, but -71????

Sure, but you can't just look at a stat sheet and determine how much a guy or guy(s) might help your club. Suter will eat huge minutes and can help push the puck out of our zone. Neither of those would show up on a scoring stat sheet. Zach's points took a dip last year, but he also came back from a major injury and had a good playoff run. He had a couple of seasons as an 80+ point guy. He's obviously not a Malkin or Giroux, but he's a huge upgrade. I expect 70-75 points out of him playing with Koivu and Heater.

What I like just as much as anything is how we can move some of these 3rd line guys off of the 2nd line to where they should be. With all the injuries we had in the 2nd half of last year, we had 3rd line guys playing on the 1st line! You're not going to win many games like that and we didn't. And finally with some of our better prospects playing in Houston this year, we have a little bit of depth if injuries do happen. Yeah I'm drinking the red and green Kool-Aid, but its been awhile since we could be excited for the season to start.

Sure, but you can't just look at a stat sheet and determine how much a guy or guy(s) might help your club. Suter will eat huge minutes and can help push the puck out of our zone. Neither of those would show up on a scoring stat sheet. Zach's points took a dip last year, but he also came back from a major injury and had a good playoff run. He had a couple of seasons as an 80+ point guy. He's obviously not a Malkin or Giroux, but he's a huge upgrade. I expect 70-75 points out of him playing with Koivu and Heater.

What I like just as much as anything is how we can move some of these 3rd line guys off of the 2nd line to where they should be. With all the injuries we had in the 2nd half of last year, we had 3rd line guys playing on the 1st line! You're not going to win many games like that and we didn't. And finally with some of our better prospects playing in Houston this year, we have a little bit of depth if injuries do happen. Yeah I'm drinking the red and green Kool-Aid, but its been awhile since we could be excited for the season to start.

You should be excited. Those guys should make Minnesota a better team. I used to live west of the cities and I'd love to see Minnesota compete regularly again.

I know there's far more to a player's game than the stat sheet, but you don't pay $98 million to a role player. Parise and Suter just became the 3rd and 4th players in the league to make $12 mil this year and along with Tyler Myers and Brad Richards, are the highest paid players in the league. That should put it into perspective. Parise is far from one of the top 5 or 10 players in the league, yet he makes the most money in the league. Their cap hits are tied for 7th overall.

Look at these names and numbers:
http://capgeek.com/leaders.php?type=CAP_HIT&position=-1&limit=25

And this list of 25 overpaid guys:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...les/1126771-the-nhls-25-most-overpaid-players

I'm just not convinced those guys are worth that kind of money and cap hit for the next 1.2 decades.

These contracts are ruining hockey. Can't wait to see te *****-slap the league comes up with in the next CBA.

paulster2626 said:
These contracts are ruining hockey. Can't wait to see te *****-slap the league comes up with in the next CBA.

It's tough because it's all about supply and demand. I think the ability to pay a guy $12 mil one year in a contract and $2 mil in another and have the same cap hit across the term is ridiculous.

The only reason there's no supply is because of the ability to hand out these stupid contracts in the first place.
Jordan Staal just got a 10 year deal for $60M? Luongo extended forever? WTF.

paulster2626 said:
The only reason there's no supply is because of the ability to hand out these stupid contracts in the first place.
Jordan Staal just got a 10 year deal for $60M? Luongo extended forever? WTF.

And then there are the no trade clauses or the inability to take on that kind of cap hit by other teams without swapping similar contracts. It seems to have reduced the number of rental players moving at the deadline on their last few months of a contract before UFA status.

These contracts show how great of a deal Pittsburgh got with Crosby, assuming he actually plays. :)

Of course. He's the only player actually worth one of these contracts.

Seriously, if you're not top-5 in the League, then really these should not even be considered.

Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Chara
Kessel/Phaneuf :cross:

The only players who should be signed for "life". I remember a time when a 5-year deal was something big. Now it just seems kinda short. 5 years is acutally a pretty long time to commit to a player.

SC20120718-191741.jpeg

Scott Stevens is finally behind the bench again, assistant coach with the Devils of course. Very exciting for Devils fans, hopefully he teaches guys how to hit again, especially over the middle.

Nashville can match Webers deal until July 25th. Philly would owe Nashville 4 first round picks if they choose to let him go. It does look like Philly has him locked up with the pay structure Nashville would owe within the first year ($27 mil!!!). There were a couple of other teams interested in Weber as well.

Brutal for Pred fans. First Suter, now Weber.

Does he play goalie? Still an issue in Philly, always has been.

please, bryz was inconsistent but he was fine this year.

W-L-OTL 33-16-7
SV% .909
GAA 2.48
SO 6

Not fantastic, but hardly awful.

He was ON FIRE during the month of march as well, just got hurt two weeks before the playoffs started.

Shea gonna be a flyer! Honestly, i can't see how they don't match the offer, unless something has already been worked out between homer and poile.

Poile doesn't match and a trade is made for the flyers to recoup draft picks and roster players go back to NSH

Barnzy02 said:
please, bryz was inconsistent but he was fine this year.

W-L-OTL 33-16-7
SV% .909
GAA 2.48
SO 6

Not fantastic, but hardly awful.

He was ON FIRE during the month of march as well, just got hurt two weeks before the playoffs started.

Shea gonna be a flyer! Honestly, i can't see how they don't match the offer, unless something has already been worked out between homer and poile.

Poile doesn't match and a trade is made for the flyers to recoup draft picks and roster players go back to NSH

Just saying goaltending has ALWAYS been their issue, I'm sure Weaber will be a great addition though.

Well, in that regard. Yes, i agree. Goaltending, has been our blackhole. The list of goalies we've had over the past decade is ... laughable. I am just a big supporter of Bryz, and i feel he gets more guff that is necessary.

I woke up this morning to this and couldn't be more ecstatic. To potentially get Weber for 4 1st rounders, granted there's other roster moves to be made after the fact, is just ... insane.

Does Nashville have the money to match? It's like 52 million in guaranteed bonuses the first 4 years. From what i understand, their financial position isn't the best.

Does Nashville have the money to match? It's like 52 million in guaranteed bonuses the first 4 years. From what i understand, their financial position isn't the best.

Wave goodbye to him, they're far too cheap to match that. Suck it Nashville.

I guess not making the playoffs or getting knocked out early has it's perks:
Scott Gomez hit a hole-in-one at his own golf tournament in Anchorage to win a new $50,000 SUV, according to the Anchorage Daily News. Gomez said he doesn't know what he will do with the car, but right now he is driving his sister's old car when he is in Alaska.

Is anyone's voice in hockey equally or more obnoxious than Scott Burnside? I can't stand his writing, let alone hearing his goofy voice talk about his silly writing.

paulster2626 said:
Depends if you consider your voice to be "in hockey" or not.

My voice personally?

I'm referring to anyone who conducts video commentary or interviews in any capacity. Don't care if it's Joe Baggadonuts blogger, B-side is atrociously annoying.

Nah just messing with you.

I am a giant Leafs homer, but I find Jim Hughson to be a total 'tard. Guy is such a blatant Leafs hater it pretty much ruins HNIC Sat night games. If the Leafs get scored on, it's because they suck and the other team is amazing. If the Leafs score, it's because they got lucky or a bad call was made. So annoying.

And don't even get me started on Glenn Healy. Even the other announcers hate this guy, its obvious. Best was during a Habs faceoff:.
Healy: "guys I don't know why Pleckanec is taking this faceoff. He's losing it of he takes it."
Cole: "and he wins it"

Healy's shining moment last season was when he said Reimer was faking his neck/concussion injury after getting run by Gionta. What a farce. it is blatantly obvious to me that he is trying to be some super-nasty grinch in an effort to be the next Don Cherry, but he just comes off as an arrogant ass.

Hah. I don't get that impression of Healy at all. Not saying he's always positive, but I haven't found him to be overly negative. Then again, I never heard that Reimer bit, which would definitely be bullshìt... just unbelievable. He may be trying to cultivate a Don Cherry-like persona, but Don Cherry's grinch/cynical attitude he has a lot of the time isn't even like that; he generally has a point he's trying to communicate, rather than being an ******* just for the sake of being an *******.

And speaking of the Leafs (and two goalies in particular... everything that's been passed up so far makes Burke's and the MLSE's apology and subsequent promises ring so false. The only thing that would justify it for me is if they've been holding out for a strong possibility of nabbing a Canucks goalie, in which case I'd immediately cream my pants, but I'm not exactly going to be holding my breath for that.

Good for them. They've never done much before when they tried buying a team, not worried about Philly either. If the Devils don't get Semin I believe they'll just ride out their young talent. Health is still key through the playoffs, but yeah, those guys will help.

Back